RIFLE CALIBRE HAVE I MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE?

Hi again guys after quite a few stalks and a number of kills i have made the decision to put in a variation on my section 1 firearms certificate for a large bore rifle, I have tought about it long and hard and my conclusion was that if i bought a 243 then i would end up wanting to shoot big reds too and it would not be as quite as effective as a 308 so on applying for my variation i have chosen a 308 with the train of thought that if i were to use it on smaller deer like roe doe's etc then i can use a lower grain bullett trying to reduce any as much damage on impact, i know there will be more damage than a 243 but its also the impact im looking for too, am i right in my train of thought or should i tear it up and go for the 243?

any comments and suggestions would be well appreciated guys cheers , :gunsmilie:

I presonly use 243 and 6,5x57 they great on roe in open country but a single gras kan change their direktion soe when I shoot from the ground i prefer 30-30 then in this situations you mostly schoot max. 150 or even closer. Useing lower grain bulletts dont meain reduces meat demage you must use bullets with harder/stronger construction. Evry roe that I take with 8x57IS had lower meat demage then they taken with 243 or 6,5x57 with 6 gr. bullets.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 308 has been a popular caliber for years with a wide selection of bullets... others come and go in popularity but you won't go far wrong with one of them. Like some of the lads say there is no magic caliber, only what the individual shoots best with. Practise and confidence are the key. Walter Bell shot a thousand elephant with a 6.5 :notworthy: ... now thats confidence!

Edited by Local

I think this has been one the best threads I have read for a while, very informative and loads of experiences offered that will help tremendously when I eventually do get my ticket. What does seem to be the best advice and is something that I would deffinitely go along with is this.. hit the ruddy target where you intended and ensure a clean kill, consistently. Within the legal boundaries of quarry/calibre this should be by far the most important factor, carcas damage second. I have shot fallow with .308 and 7mm08, highland reds with .270 and .308 and wild boar with .308 and I am very pleased that every time it has been a one shot kill in the boiler house. My personal thoughts are that the time spent stalking on every occasion has meant that the ranges have never been excessive and every calibre proved capable of good accuracy and a clean kill at ranges less than 200 yds. This must mean that there is a big portion of "each to his own" to consider. From my own experience I place the .270 as least favourite, followed by the 7mm08 but I think it was the rifle I did not like much (steyr scout) and my preferred calibre to date being the .308. It seemed an altogether more civilised round without excessive recoil. I look forward to trying out .243 and as many others as I can when the opportunity arises.

As I have to pay for all my shooting, my experience is quite slow to obtain but I hope none the less valuable. So so far I reckon that if you know what you are capable of (accuracy wise) and what your rifle/ammo combination can do and stay within both these limitations then you wont go far wrong!.

regards,

Pete.

[quote name='Local' date='Oct 9 2008, 12:00 PM' post='702728

GOOD ADVICE from LOCAL i agree with him ,

BUT these are only our OPINIONS THE 243 will put down enything with four legs if you put it in the right place.

THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR BULLET PLACMENT?

i"ve shot, and used the biggest, hand held rifles in the world,but its no good if you shoot things in the ASS

JUST A WEE CORECTION WALTER DALRIMPLE MAITLAND BELL, lived and stalked quite near where we lived,

my father remembered him, he shot with the 220 SWIFT and remarked,that it put the DEER down as though

electrocuted?.

HE did indeed shoot over 1000 elephants BUT mostly with the 275 rigby and some with 6.5 MANLICHER

when i lived and hunted in the USA, the american indians taught me one thing?

ITS NOT THE ARROW SON, ITS THE INDIAN

:icon_eek: good luck c ya

Good saying :clapper: I stand corrected on the elephant stats... Haven't heard of the 257 rigby... still sounds light mind:icon_eek:

OOOPS GOT CARRIED AWAY , is actualy 275 = 7X57 SORRY, dont want to sound like a KNOW ALL.

but I HAVE DONE A WEE BIT?

never met anybody Other than NEWZLAND CONTROL GUY who had CULLED AS MANY BEASTIES?

read REX FOSTERS SLAUGHTER IN THE CLOUDS, will give you the kind of numbers i"m talking :icon_eek:

KEEP TAKING THE TABLETS C YA

Good saying :clapper: I stand corrected on the elephant stats... Haven't heard of the 257 rigby... still sounds light mind:icon_eek:

OOOPS GOT CARRIED AWAY , is actualy 275 = 7X57 SORRY, dont want to sound like a KNOW ALL.

never met anybody Other than NEWZLAND CONTROL GUY who had CULLED AS MANY BEASTIES?

read REX FOSTERS SLAUGHTER IN THE CLOUDS, will give you the kind of numbers i"m talking :icon_eek:

I'll check it out... have a gander at this book, fantastic read.

post-4425-1223557403_thumb.jpg

The 308 is a very good round veratile as well the army snipers still use it in the guies of the AL96 Built on the lee enfield action tryed tested and tested again the 308 will be around for another 100 years

So you know the saying go with what you know is right

nice to see you guys get books to show how bad the deer numbers were in nz, those old kiwi cullers knew how to shoot deer.

you guys might be interested to know the most red deer shot in this countries history,is not with a 303 but actually a .223 out of a chopper :gunsmilie: and in recent years the 12g benelli has been the weapon used.

nice to see you guys get books to show how bad the deer numbers were in nz, those old kiwi cullers knew how to shoot deer.

you guys might be interested to know the most red deer shot in this countries history,is not with a 303 but actually a .223 out of a chopper :gunsmilie: and in recent years the 12g benelli has been the weapon used.

HIhi

HI THERE KIWI nice to hear from you just to let you know they wern"t always old? or from NEW ZEALAND.

spent a wee while on south island.

some said they had shot hundreds of deer with this or that calibre, how would he like to say he"d shot THOUSANDS.

Its, the old can of worms about this or that calibre,

MY BOOK should be out in the near future.

i used to be more interested in what kind of knife you had?,

because when they all fell down, THATS WHEN THE WORK STARTED

ALL THE BEST FROM BONNY c ya