RIFLE CALIBRE HAVE I MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE?

Sombody mentioned 25-06 (metric 6,5x63), 6,5 Mannlicher (original 6,5x54 Mannlicher schönauer) and 6,5x55 Swedisch Mauser as good alllround cartidges. I never used 25-06 but I own M 1903 Mannlicher Scönauer full stock carabine in 6,5x54 and I used it manny times (today only ocasionly). With RWS and Hirtenberger ammunition with 10,3 gr. bullets it is a nice handy high quality rifle wery acurate capable to take any game depending how good the schoter is but with certenly limitation of range and power in my exprience 150-170 m and 100-120 kg game weight. I hunted too befor for several years with sportiseised Mannlicher Carcano M38TS in 6,5x52 Carcano and with Norma and PPU ammunition 10,1 gr. bullets and the capability (quality of rifle excepted) is the same. I use Brno ful stock carabine in 6,5x57 (and it is in power the same or even stronger then 6,5x55) with RWS ammunition 6.0 gr to 8,2 gr. depending from the hunting situation (the RWS 10,0 gr. is no more in production) but alloround caliber it is not. I newer wos in Scandinavia and I never sow a elk in free nature but I doubt that the 6,5x55 wil be a universal elk caliber then even there they use 9,3x57 or 7,62x54R or derivates like 8,2x53R and 9,3x53R. 7x57 I use in bolt action rifle and combination drilng (7x57R) and it is a good allorund caliber. As a profesionel hunter in my opinion using calibers les in diameter then 7 mm on biger game than roe deer is unethick. Again sorry for my poor englisch.

• 3 months later...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gents - very interesting posts and most informative. At the risk of adding more legs to the topic, what about rifle makes/models?

I am looking for a cheap .308 that I can use for both deer and Class F target use. Parker Hale's seem a popular choice at the 'bargain' end, seeming to have a good rep. for life and accuracy. As money is tight and with the old advice of 'spend the same on the scope as you spent on the rifle', I need to find something long-lived, accurate, cheap and cheerful.

Any tips for the impoverished .308 shooter (under £300)?

DL