Shotgun Certificate, anxiety on Medical records

Hi

I wonder if anybody can help???

I have applied for my SGC and on enquiry my FIO asked if I had suffered from depression or stress,

I had a visit to my G.P 10 years ago with back and neck pain my G.P said it could be anxiety of a busy exam period I was in the middle of.

I revisited him 1 month later after having a panic attack of chest pain to which he only assured me once my exams

were over in 2 weeks time all will be fine, he prescribed me 20 Diazapam tablets and gave me a leaflet on anxiety and that was the end of the matter,

I never had any further visits or symptoms

My FIO has wrote to my G.P about the matter, I'm worried my aplication will be refused,

Can anybody add comment?

Thanks.

Guest JohnGalway

10 years is a long time. While not knowing the regulations I can't see you getting denied for something like that. Especially since it didn't last long and I'm presuming there were no repeats since then.

Hi Rando

Dont panic mate, I had a simalar thing when I applied for my FAC, I suferd from depression, and they got in touch with my Doc, he told them that it was nothing to be concerned about and it would not be a problem.

Low and behold I got my FAC and SGC..

Hang in dont worry they are NOT as bad as they appear to be..

It should'nt affect your application!! I was involved in a serious car accident years ago and was diagnosed as having post traumatic stress after the accident, and had no problems with renewal etc: even after the cops talking to my GP

Tom

Speaking as a doctor I think there is a distinct distinction here.

We all get stressed every now and again and it can manifest itself as physical symptoms. The fact that your anxiety was consistent with your exams shows that this is not a long term mental health issue.

I imagine what they are concerned about people with histories of long term depression, especially with suicidal ideation and or more serious affective or psychotic mental illnesses (e.g. schizophrenia, bipolar disorder).

One episode 10 years ago of anxiety doesn't provide, to my mind as a doctor, any evidence that you'll be a danger to yourself or to others with a shotgun.

If you've got any questions about the medical side of things please feel free to PM me.

Edited by Radders

guys

yous are lucky. I suffered from depression and was on anti depressants for several years, sent of my renewal , to the firearms lic branch here in Northern Ireland. it took them 16 months to decide I was not a fit person even though my Doctor said I was fine. Have had to appeal to the Northern Ireland office (2 months ago) and got a pychiatrist to say same- that I was fit and of no danger- and sent it along with the appeal -still waiting :angry:

If the appeal fails I will be going to the next stage whatever that is.

I hope to sit down some day and write it all out for everyone, but waiting for result of appeal. Have made complaints re the lenght of time it took the Police to sort the matter out and also the tone of the first letter sent to me by the Firearms Branch. Needless to say getting nowhere fast,it is clear from what I can see firearms branch are a law onto themselves but i am going to keep banging away with the complaint until someone listens. Sad i know but this type of thing should not be allowed to happen to a law abiding, taxpayer. ;)

sean

Guest basil46
guys

yous are lucky. I suffered from depression and was on anti depressants for several years, sent of my renewal , to the firearms lic branch here in Northern Ireland. it took them 16 months to decide I was not a fit person even though my Doctor said I was fine. Have had to appeal to the Northern Ireland office (2 months ago) and got a pychiatrist to say same- that I was fit and of no danger- and sent it along with the appeal -still waiting :angry:

If the appeal fails I will be going to the next stage whatever that is.

I hope to sit down some day and write it all out for everyone, but waiting for result of appeal. Have made complaints re the lenght of time it took the Police to sort the matter out and also the tone of the first letter sent to me by the Firearms Branch. Needless to say getting nowhere fast,it is clear from what I can see firearms branch are a law onto themselves but i am going to keep banging away with the complaint until someone listens. Sad i know but this type of thing should not be allowed to happen to a law abiding, taxpayer. ;)

sean

Keep at them sean, good luck with your appeals.

basil.

Rondo, shouldn't affect it. When my wife applied for hers, she'd been suffering from stress after a major family illness and that was only a year before applying. She got her SGC with no problems.

Good luck.

Rondo, shouldn't affect it. When my wife applied for hers, she'd been suffering from stress after a major family illness and that was only a year before applying. She got her SGC with no problems.

Good luck.

that chelsea shooting didnt help, that guy was on anti dipessants.....so i can imgain (for the time bering) they might be pretty hard on that aspect......unless daily mail find out that people who have ever taken anti dispressants are issued with a shot gun ticket then the shitty government will prob ban such people! since crappy rags such as daily mail and sun now make the laws!

• 10 months later...

i had 2 cautions on my criminal record for criminal damage and shoplifting these were 6 years ago when i was a teenager and i had alo sufferd with depression i had been off anti depressant for 5 months when i applied ani it took me 10 days from day of posting my appication to the day my licence dropped though the door and there was a bank holiday weekend in the middle of that, so i wouldn't worry too much mate. good luck