best feed for a greyhound

what is the best food to give to a racing greyhound?

I wouldnt say that thier is a best food to give racers, i wood say as long as u give them a balanced meal with low fat u dont want them getting to heavey.

I give mine a mix of raw meat either mince or tripe or tripe and chicken together, with veg soup and a couple of slice (brown bread) or they get rabbit or chicken or hare.

As long as u keep them at their racing weight , daily exercisse.

there no one best food but i give mine in the morning milk wheatabix egg and in the evening soaked nuts pasta boiled vegtables turned into soup fresh mince and some iron and vitamans and lots of exercise you only get out what you put in :victory::victory::victory:

i feed mine a ceriel mix in the morning with milk and glucose powder as a mix a table spoon of each to a pint of water and an egg every morning then at dinner time they get 1 and a half cups of purina high protien cant mind what exact one and a pound of beef and a whole meal role they eat the lot and are in top condition have done a good few turns with them ;)

I wouldnt say that thier is a best food to give racers, i wood say as long as u give them a balanced meal with low fat u dont want them getting to heavey.

Why should their meal be low in fat grewgirl?

Why should their meal be low in fat grewgirl?

they should have bewteen five and seven % fat in there deit no more usually there is enough in the meal with out adding any more

rice pasta,meat(raw)chicken(boneless)fish two to three eggs a week veg no milk once in training for racing at all

they should have bewteen five and seven % fat in there deit no more usually there is enough in the meal with out adding any more

rice pasta,meat(raw)chicken(boneless)fish two to three eggs a week veg no milk once in training for racing at all

5-7% fat seems on the low side,I'd tend to agree with Chaz and opt for between 10-17% fat.Each to there own though.

I'm interested in why you don't give your Greyhounds milk when they're in training thechef as I know of lots of trainers that feed milk with the dogs breakfast.

hi i agree with the rest there is no best food as long as they stay the right weight and have a good warm bed

heres what mine have anyway

for breakfast:

brown bread and mixed cereal soaked with veg stock milk and glucouse

for teatime:

1lb of bread biscuits

1lb of red mills raceing food

1 3/4 lb of mixed veg and minced meat boiled up

along with vitamin b an c, conditioning tablets, garlic powder, codliver oil, and racing boost 3 days before racing

hope this helps

topshot

• 4 weeks later...

dont know what this crap about no milk is about as iv had dogs do track records out a midle box all scr on the feed i mention so the milk cant be that bad for them also in my opinion if you own a monkey it doesnt matter a toss what its given it wont do any better than its limit i dont own monkys and nor does my grandad he has raced greyhounds for 60 years so i think he knows what he is doing i have loads of trophies he won in the seventies when he used to race in handi caps and all his dogs got milk he now only races in open class and does the odd job on a track but theres no money in it over here now you have to work far too hard for your money but my point is all these dogs are given milk daily so why are they doing well if you dont use it for training ? p.s my grandads best mate just moved over the water owned the fastest bitch our side of the water a wee white bitch and she is given milk every day her pups made 8k each at 8 weeks so shows the class of the bitch where you get your idea on milk i would love to know .

regards kris.

• 2 weeks later...
dont know what this crap about no milk is about as iv had dogs do track records out a midle box all scr on the feed i mention so the milk cant be that bad for them also in my opinion if you own a monkey it doesnt matter a toss what its given it wont do any better than its limit i dont own monkys and nor does my grandad he has raced greyhounds for 60 years so i think he knows what he is doing i have loads of trophies he won in the seventies when he used to race in handi caps and all his dogs got milk he now only races in open class and does the odd job on a track but theres no money in it over here now you have to work far too hard for your money but my point is all these dogs are given milk daily so why are they doing well if you dont use it for training ? p.s my grandads best mate just moved over the water owned the fastest bitch our side of the water a wee white bitch and she is given milk every day her pups made 8k each at 8 weeks so shows the class of the bitch where you get your idea on milk i would love to know .

regards kris.

What was the bitch called Kris?

Edited by tote

im not sure what the bitch was called think she is about 4 now ill ask my grandad what her name is one of the pups went for 8k the others were all over 6 he said where you from tote ? she wqas from the ayr area so you might know the bitch.

ill see my grandad sat so ill ask her name. a boy from gretna used to run dogs at thornton think his name was jim had a no to bad old dog pit it was called him and his dad used to run them was mostly black dogs they had and pit was black think there colemen i used to parade and do the boxes so took his dogs a few times dont think my grandad n rab come threw gretna the reason i left the dog game is my grandad ses there was no money in it anymore they are bringin 3k dogs over here that are just starting schooling and he started giving his mate them to keep when he got unable and wouldnt get me a decent dog so i havent been near a track since im gonna buy a dog of decent class soon just to prove to him that i would have been capable and all i wanted was his knoledge and conections that he has now passed to some random tool. he is also very good mates with a trainer from shawfield who hasnt long retired i got a few dogs from him but my grandad was just testing me out and i was only 14 at the time so was going threw various stages and he kinda sickend me giving me monkeys when i was used to working with his dogs who won when they were supposed to and didnt when not to .

well anyways less rabbiting on ill let you know the name over the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
i feed mine a ceriel mix in the morning with milk and glucose powder as a mix a table spoon of each to a pint of water and an egg every morning then at dinner time they get 1 and a half cups of purina high protien cant mind what exact one and a pound of beef and a whole meal role they eat the lot and are in top condition have done a good few turns with them ;)
I never understood the glucose added to food.Not even when i did it myself because thats what you did.If a dog has it for breakfast will it not add to its weight if the dog does not burn off the quick energy it produces.Is it not a short term boost perhaps better given just before a sprint if anything rather than when the dogs sitting in kennel.