Yeah but EBT's can be bad with dog aggression, I've seen videos of Pits being used on hog hunts and they interact well the scent dogs. I know what I would use givin the chance pal.

and pitbulls arent bad with dog aggression? :wallbash:

read the whole thread. he was replying to someone who said americans used EBT because pits were dog aggressive.

i will apoligise then my bad. :icon_redface::victory:

and i werent saying thats the reason i was saying it might be the reason. i read on a pig hunting site that lads in new zealand and such chose the american bulldog over pitts cause they were safer to deal with when on a hog and pitts had been known to turn on other dogs and the handler i just wonderd if that why some choose the english as i think the american bulls have a nice price tag too.

i werent saying all pitts are dog aggressive im not biased when it comes to dogs they all have there uses.but honestly would you trust one out hunting in the crate with your bailing dogs if they saw a hog.

Waidmann has a very good point.

in most cases pit pups are raised w/ the baydogs & dog aggression is discouraged from an early age. if the dog is incurable he either goes to a friend to be a pet or takes the long walk. also the breed is so popular over here and a lot have been bred from cold dogs. honestly the worst fights i've seen have been between baydogs. the bulldogs usually grab & hold and so there is less damage when one gets into a fight in the truck. hotshots (electric cattle prods) go ALONG way to eliminating any desire to fight among the dogs.

• 2 months later...

Waidmann has a very good point.

in most cases pit pups are raised w/ the baydogs & dog aggression is discouraged from an early age. if the dog is incurable he either goes to a friend to be a pet or takes the long walk. also the breed is so popular over here and a lot have been bred from cold dogs. honestly the worst fights i've seen have been between baydogs. the bulldogs usually grab & hold and so there is less damage when one gets into a fight in the truck. hotshots (electric cattle prods) go ALONG way to eliminating any desire to fight among the dogs.

So does a 22 bullet dogs that fight are a waste of time and end up costing a lot of money. They maybe ok in your pack but if you want to hunt with other people it causes problems.

Bull Terriers are a great breed to X as they retain their hardness and can be built into almost any shape you want a dog with a bit more leg is good as it can move a bit faster and hold more efficiently as it can stand with all four legs on the ground so its not getting thrown round by the pig as much and can control it better.

i can count on one hand the number of guys here that use EBT. in all cases the dog just sort of fell into their lap & they decided to give it a go. fortunately they did the job well enough. but most folks use pits because they are cheap not because they are best. really most dogs of bullbreed will try to do the job. i can go to the pound/shelter and for $200 or less pick up 3-5 generic "pits" and put them on a hog the same day. at least 1 will do the job good & at least two will be okay as long as they aren't catching alone. not to mention i can look on the net or in the paper & find a couple free to good home at least 2-3 times a month. and i can pick up crap bred dogs for under $200 & well bred ones for $500. now consider i can't find an EBT for less than $500 (crap bred most likely) and usually more like $1200-1500. which would you spend your hard earned money on?

Pops the reasons you gave above are exactly the same as why the EBT became the dog of choise out here in the 70's and 80's They were every where and could be picked up relitively cheaply. As we like dogs that can find and catch their own pigs which means you can keep less dogs the EBT had its limitations and they became the base breed for many a good pig dog line, and were crossed with just about every thing from mastifs to greyhounds. Not all work but most do and the breed and its offspring have accounted for thousands of pigs each year since.