what scope

Guest jarvey

Guest jarvey

im getting a tikka .223 lite and i am looking for a scope for shooting up to 400 yards maximum. any recommendations for a precise scope. does anyone have any opinions on whether to get a mil-dot scope or a scope with sniper style turrets to zero on for different ranges. ive shot 600m at targets but not with a scope so i know that wind and elevation do make a huge difference at these sort of ranges. or should i use a mil-dot and sniper style turrets.

need help. would be much appreciated.

im getting a tikka .223 lite and i am looking for a scope for shooting up to 400 yards maximum. any recommendations for a precise scope. does anyone have any opinions on whether to get a mil-dot scope or a scope with sniper style turrets to zero on for different ranges. ive shot 600m at targets but not with a scope so i know that wind and elevation do make a huge difference at these sort of ranges. or should i use a mil-dot and sniper style turrets.

Go see a shrink..you have a serious problem!

What are you actually looking to shoot at those ranges? Targets or quarry

Sounds a bit optimistic for a hunting target under normal conditions?

Matt

very funny deker. yes i agree wrong word used.

no the shooting will be for quarry only.

I shoot fox and deer through a 4-12 mag scope. I don't have the ability to confidently shoot past the 200-250 yard mark on fox.

I have to say that it appears quite a small target at the upper end of the scale. If you have the ability and confidence to shoot past this mark, then i suggest something with a slightly higher mag than this. Also at this range, clarity will be important, so something reasonable quality will be required.

You will also likely need to shoot off a stable platform to get the best of a high mag scope. Eg rest or bipod

You really have to set your budget and get the best value for money on the day.

What are you intending to spend. We might be able to come up with some suggestions.

I am presuming fox is your intended quarry at that range?

Perhaps the Nikko Nighteater range would surfice at the bottom end of the scale, (>200 quid)

At the other end of the scale, some will suggest Night Force

There are many options in between

Edited by mattydski
Guest jarvey

sorry i forgot to mention my budget at the beginning of the post. it is likely to be a maximum of £300 but im working alot during the summer so may be able to step it up to about £400. its going to be mainly fox at that range. i wont be pulling off a large number of shots at that range but on my permission i have the space to do those sort of shots. any suggestions on a scope. i was looking at a hawke sidewinder but im a complete noobie with scopes.

cheers jack

Hmmmm. Benefit of the doubt, for now.

I'd go with a Falcon Optics at that kind of money, their 4.5-18x56 should do the trick nicely. They boast very reliable adjustments, I am likely to pick one up shortly myself.

Others will tell you MTC, but until they give me a scope that works and has decent glass I say avoid, up to now my experience there has been very sub-par.

Or Bushnell 6-24x40 Elite 4200, but that's stretching your 400 quid.

I'd go with a Falcon Optics at that kind of money, their 4.5-18x56 should do the trick nicely. They boast very reliable adjustments, I am likely to pick one up shortly myself.

Others will tell you MTC, but until they give me a scope that works and has decent glass I say avoid, up to now my experience there has been very sub-par.

you could get the Bushnell 6-24x50 Elite tactial 4200 for £300 if you look for them or get it from the usa.

i no a couple of people that have mtc scopes and havent had a problem with them mate.

what has happened to the one you had ? have you returned it to gary c and his wife sammy ?

Edited by jamie g

Jarvey,

I mirror everything Logic says and also add acouple of alternatives to the the list:-

Nikon Monarch 5.5-16.5x44 AO Under £300 if you shop around

Nikko Stirling Platinum Nighteater 4-16 x 44 Down in price at optics warehouse to £104 (thrown in for discussion) Save the extra for a decent Bipod!!

Leupold 6-18x40 AO VX-11 Around the £300

As for altering the range on my scopes- None of mine have that ability. One is a mildot, and i put rounds down the gun until i am happy i know where in the trajectory each mildot falls. Then given the accuracy of my set up, i can confidently hold over or under to take a humane shot. I zero centrefires at 100m, rimfires at 60m and air rifles at 40m. I then practise at other distances and calibrate in my mind for instance what percentage of reticule is required to hold over. E.g. at what range it changes from thick to thin. What range is half the thin reticule distance.(Also remembering this will change with magnification) But i am not what i would call a techinical shooter. I dont change ammo, i find one that works, is accurate and stick to it.

Do you have mentoring as a condition on your ticket or is it open. I understand from your previous posts you have military experience of firearms. But it is really different in the field after live targets. I suggest you build up your confidence level in the environment that you intend to kill your quarry. No dissrespect intended, just pointing out, that from my experience, 400 yards in field conditions is a hell of a shot. You may benefit from shooting with an experinced varmint shooter for some tips and advice. There will be people on this forum confident with their ability to tackle this range, they may give you different advice. I wouldn't take a shot at that distance unless at the range, prone, off a bipod and at a paper target.

Unfortunately animals dont stay still when wounded for a second shot, they run like the proverbial 'Scalded cat', sometimes even when the first shot was a good one, especially deer. Wounded animals don't make good advertisements for our sport, neither do unrecovered dead animals which have died later as a result of their wounds.

When did you get your ticket through?

Best of luck with your shooting

Matt

you could get the Bushnell 6-24x50 Elite tactial 4200 for £300 if you look for them or get it from the usa.

i no a couple of people that have mtc scopes and havent had a problem with them mate.

what has happened to the one you had ? have you returned it to gary c and his wife sammy ?

First scope had dust on the reticle, second one I couldn't get to hold zero, and adjusting it wasn't easy either - would get the old problem where clicks don't move the POI consistently.

I have sent it back to them, waiting on the outcome.

Where can I get the Bushnell for 300 quid because I want one!?

First scope had dust on the reticle, second one I couldn't get to hold zero, and adjusting it wasn't easy either - would get the old problem where clicks don't move the POI consistently.

I have sent it back to them, waiting on the outcome.

Where can I get the Bushnell for 300 quid because I want one!?

i got mine for £285 with butler covers and sportsmatch mounts i think they are :whistling:

there have been a couple sold on bbs mate if not keep a eye out as they do come up from time to time.

the lad i got it off is on here now and i think he got it from the usa so they can be had for that easy :thumbs:

Guest jarvey

cheers for all of the advice. thats the problem i suppose it is alot more different on a range than it is with wild quarry. have done alot of shooting off the range but none at very long ranges with a rifle. i just assumed it would be the same to shoot at the longer distances with live quarry as it is with targets. thanks for all of the advice though. i havnt got my ticket yet i've sent off for it.

jack

In the light of your recent posts below and obvious ignorance of firearms how exactly do you intend to buy a Tikka .223Lite...do you get a kick out of wasting a lot of very helpful peoples time who simply don't know you for the sad time waster you are, why don't you P**s Off to another site ...I hear Airgun BBS could do with some more idiots!!!

hi ive recently applied for an FAC and am currently looking to buy my first rifle. im stuck between two cz rifles, the 452 american and the 452 varmint. any opinions on the differences between the two. also if you know of any other rifles in the same price range then that would be great. its mainly for rabbits and foxes. wats everyones opinion on a sound moderator as well. needed or not?

cheers, Jack

...... ive applied for .17hmr ammo and a sound moderator if i want to use one. do you use supersonic or subsonic ammo because am i right in saying subsonic gets rid of the crack as the bullet passes through the sound barrier.

does anyone else know of any other rifles in the saem range?

In the light of your recent posts below and obvious ignorance of firearms how exactly do you intend to buy a Tikka .223Lite...do you get a kick out of wasting a lot of very helpful peoples time who simply don't know you for the sad time waster you are, why don't you P**s Off to another site ...I hear Airgun BBS could do with some more idiots!!!

hi ive recently applied for an FAC and am currently looking to buy my first rifle. im stuck between two cz rifles, the 452 american and the 452 varmint. any opinions on the differences between the two. also if you know of any other rifles in the same price range then that would be great. its mainly for rabbits and foxes. wats everyones opinion on a sound moderator as well. needed or not?

cheers, Jack

...... ive applied for .17hmr ammo and a sound moderator if i want to use one. do you use supersonic or subsonic ammo because am i right in saying subsonic gets rid of the crack as the bullet passes through the sound barrier.

does anyone else know of any other rifles in the saem range?

As subtle as ever Deker mate..................! :whistling::laugh:

hello jarvey!

dont get a S&B 8x56 thats what ive got on my 223 (only had it a month) altough im total inexperianced i just cant imagine shooting at your suggested ranges unless it was an elephant i was going for and happy with a belly shot!

starting to get used to the rifle and scope now but i feel my comfortable max range is about 200yds

tone