Unusual Larsen Trap

Can anyone please tell me if they use this type of larsen trap and what mechanism the door works on?? as it says "MAGPIE DROPS ONTO THE PERCH AND THE DOOR FOLDS ON TOP OF HIM" which gives me the impresion its not using springs to pull the door shut??...........is it just gravity operated?? :hmm:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LARSEN-TRAP-WITH-LON...1QQcmdZViewItem

thanks in advance

Tim :thumbs:

It's hard to see from the pics if there is a spring or not - personly I'd prefer there to be one. It wouldn't need to be as strong as a normal larsen spring but caught birds can bounce about quite a bit and could open a light mesh door like that. I'd also be concerned that without a spring there wouldn't be enough tension to hold the trigger in place - one gust of wind the wrong way and it's sprung.

As for the trigger that seems simple enough. The long perch is hinged at one end and at the other is connected by a wire to the smaller block. This in turn is placed between the back edge of the door and the side of the cage.

Weight on the perch pulls the small block out allowing the door to close. I've seen something similar used for a side-entry trap - on here I think it was.

post-2748-1213426053.jpg