the other evening lads i shot a couple of rabbits but bye the time i got home it was a bit late so i left gutting them till the morning.got up gutted skined em ect cooked em but they tasted not to nice .its been a while since i had rabbit and i dont remember them tasting like that.is it because i left em guts in all night ? maby i didnt get the piss out properly when i shot em......also they smelt fooking rank :sick: when i split em.if anyone can give me some pointers it would be great cheers lads n ladys :good:

Guest JAGDWERKS

I rabbit hunt here in the states...When we kill a rabbit,we "imeadatly" gut them and put them on ice.We de-hide them when we get home and soak them in water&vinegar over night.The next day we quarter the rabbit into pieces and if we fry them...i season the pieces real good,and roll them in flour and fry untill golden brown! If it is abig rabbit...i "pressure cook" it for about 10-15 min...then i take the pieces and roll them in flour and fry untill golden brown.If i make a stew...I season the rabbit pieces real well and put them in a "crock-pot" with chunks of veggies with some water&red wine and simmer on med.low...untill meat is falling off the bone! Mmmmm-mm! Be sure have the misses to make some fresh biscuts for you! lol! JAGDWERKS :good:

up to a 1/2 grown rabbit you can make a stew ,just chuck it all in even the ribs if you want ,as the bones will float to the top on the young ones ,on a fully grown one the bones will sink which means spitting bones out :cry: ,1/2 to a 3/4 grown ones are best fryed ,fully grown ones are best roasted ,hares ..now we are talking nice meat ..have you tryed it curryed :D

Bulsmilk:

If the're shot in the belly, the gut-contents, and gut-bugs will spead inside and very quickly spoil the meat defenetly overnight

Did you remove the anal glands (2 grey pea-sized organs lying inside the body at the base of the tail when pulled) The rabbit will taste & smell foul if left on the rabbit during cooking. Also could be a burst gal-bladder, meat will taste foul if it gets bile on.

Snared rabbits (left overnight on the wire) always taste OK

Cheers

Eggy

i dont know [bANNED TEXT] i pulled out all i could see.....the next time i tried they tasted ok...the only dif was that i soaked it in a salty water and boiled in salty water to.i was only doing it for the dogs butt i had to have a nibble tasted like chicken as i remember luvly jubly :)

:good::good: Maybe just a dodgy bunny :blink:

I give mine whole rabbits, raw, uncooked -the gut, but with the fur (roughage). Very good& healthy (BARF) and unlike cooked bones (dangerous!!) everything is digested without a problem. The only thing I do is freeze 'em for a while to kill any parasites (tapeworm-cysts).

Cheers

Eggy

• 1 month later...

Ive found that the taste of a rabbit depends on where and what they have been feeding on .Ive found in a harsh winter when they are chewing bark etc they taste really strong and have dark coloured fat inside them and in spring/summer they taste a lot differant cos they are feeding on young shoots and grass.