HARE SHOOTING

I would just like to add...some places i have seen are "moving" with hares....we have counted 36 on one small fields...and abnother field had so many in that we could not even begin to count themn PTB and Ian B know where i mean as they were sat in the car with me....in such instances i think hare shoots are justified...not that it matters now anyway...JD

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to add my two pennies worth here :p! the Part of Norfolk I live in is heaving with Hares, Places like Bircham Newton where some of the land belongs to the Conservitive MP Henry Bellend :D, Also land near Sandringham and land near to the coast carry out seasonal Hare shoots where as many as over 500 Hares are shot in one weekend, To be honest I think its taking things to the extreme! but each year the Numbers are always back up to near plagure proportion again.

I was Invited on one Hare shoot a few years back which I did'nt enjoy, not for the fact they was shooting so many Hares but how Dangerouse it turned out to be, some of the Hares managed to pass through the Guns which tempted some Nutcases to shoot straight down the line of Guns, beleive me it was no fun having size 4-5's hitting the ground near your feet :cry:.

Cheers

Tony

Guest LEARNER

NO.,it does not matter anymore, but it don,t make it right, i,ve watched from cover one hare shoot, it was on a estate near me, it was not in the mass numbers of foxhunters picture, but it still depleted the land i walk on, in just the field i watched , i saw sportmanship, a good honest poacher, would never lower hisself down to, i saw one twat kick a hare he had wounded twice, then stand on its head, he thought it was really funny, now this had gone over time to the back off my mind, perhaps there are some things you want to forget, well today its brought it back to the fore, so you never forget, so don,t anybody class a good poacher with some off these guys, i saw that day, and do you know some thing ,i think if i remember right, the underkeeper passed within about 10 yards off me, so i,sss think i had the better fieldcraft, but either saying that if FOXHUNTER, was on a invite, then that was his right, i just hope you had clean kills , i bet there,s more than me who have caught hares with festering wounds, you know the feeling ,how did my dog catch that so easy, untill you skin them, and see that tell tale sign ,off yellow mattered flesh, my thinking is the best way to take a hare , is with a dog, just to see her run is pure poetry, to see her get away , is a pleasure, to catch her is to me the ultimate excitment, i,ve caught a lot off hares in my time, but in numbers that are never noticed, nature puts back what you take , but it just takes longer when they are all blasted out in one day, then it is noticed , i,ve seen some ground like a hare dessert for months ,untill the hare trickles in from outlying lands , to try and bridge that void, but what a lonely place it can be till then.

Guest Fenlander
Nice informative posts, keep it up guys.. :)

Ok i'll stick my neck out and address some of the points raised,

Would i say well done if it were a pic of rabbits or pidgeons,

well yes i most likely would ,but that would be because such a bag would show a degree of field craft and skill,

if someone shot 200 pidgeons ,it would mean they have studied flight lines,and done a good job of crop protection,because if that amount of birds were hitting ONE field they would realy be causing some damage'

if a large number of rabbits ,which dont travel far, are in ONE place ,they too can be a threat to a crop,and a large bag of these would demonstrate a degree of skill from either dogging, ferreting ,snaring or netting.

But you DONT get 177 hares off ONE FIELD! in fact you dont get that many off one hundred achers!

so how much land were these hares on ?

and as for woodga giving me a lesson on how much a hare eats,would he like to tell me how many hares per acher this bag worked out at? i'd have a bet it was nearer four figers than three,and the amount of size tens walking over it caused as much damage as they saved.

as for what would i do if i was the farmer? well i WISH !

what i would'nt do is let any form of wild life reach pest proportions,if that realy is the case?

and if it did, and i could,nt manage it myself i would get some one in who could,

not leave it until the end of the game shooting season, :whistle:

then have a pest control day ,and ask those who were invited, to pay me to sort my problem out!

Now come on ,if you have slaughterd hares for a bit of fun say so ! but don't try to tell me it,s ok because it was pest control,it requires no skill, fieldcraft or ability with a gun,

just the talent to walk in a straight line ,and pull a trigger!

it's a shame ,but it can't be changed now !

it may have been a one off ! but i bet it aint!

all the best ,Mick.

So i used to thin out the hares with a rifle at night, then there was no need to have mass slaughter with shotguns. Yes i might have been taking someones "sport" away, but what they never had they never missed!

There is a need for several types of hare control and niether one way is better than the other "if done properly"

Pest control can be done in many different ways but if you were shooting hares at night I'm sure you had the relevant licence from DEFRA. :icon_redface::angel::rolleyes:

Should we be showing pictures of this kind?

Oh and too chris of coarse i had a license, just like all those poachers out there do! :D

Well I'm sure you're aware that poaching is a rural crime and I must stress that The Hunting Life cannot endorse such practice. :D

However if you have received a licence from DEFRA to take hares outside the permitted timeslot please ignore my comments. :D

Guest LEARNER

YES BIG FISH, I AM WHAT YOU CALL ILLEGAL, NOT THROUGH WANTING TO BE I MAY HAD, I BELIEVE IN MYSELF THAT WHAT I DO IS NOT WRONG, ITS JUST NATURAL, ALSO ENGLAND TODAY IS FAR DIFFERANT THAN THE ENGLAND I WAS BROUGHT UP IN, 1950S, YOU DO NOT KNOW THE HISTORY THAT AS HAPPENED WITH KEEPERS AND I, BUT MOST OFF ALL THE BLATENT LIES BY PEOPLE , I KNEW AND HELPED ,ESPECIALLY WITH LURCHER WORK, THAT BECAME KEEPERS, OR WENT ON TO HELP KEEPERS, THEN SEEM TO HAVE GREAT JOY ,IN FXCKING MY LIFE UP TO MAKE GAINS FOR THERE SHALLOW EXISTANCE, ANYWAY THE COUNTRYSIDE BELONGS TO ME ,YOU SEE I CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT IT, AND I KNOW NOBODY RESPECT NATURE MORE THAN I ,THEY MIGHT EQUAL MY FEELINGS .BUT NOBODY WILL BETTER IT, AS FOR YOU, WELL I DON,T KNOW, YOU MAYBE OF A DIFFERANT ILK THAN SOME OF THE MORONS I,VE MET, I DO NOT KNOW YOU SO CANNOT SAY, AND YOU HAVE NOT DONE ME HARM ,IN MY EXISTANCE, SO I HAVE NO AXE TO GRIND WITH YOU , BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN , I WILL NEVER STOP HATING THE CERTAIN KEEPERS AROUND ME ,AND WHAT I HAVE THE MISFORTUNE TO BUMP INTO FARTHER AFIELD ,WHO LIKE I SAY ,WITH SOME FABRICATIONS OF TRUTH, HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO MY FAMILYS FINANCIAL PROBLEMS AND PHYSICAL ATTACKS ON ME, JUST DOES NOT SEEM TO MAKE ME FEEL ANY BETTER, ANYWAY I WOULD NOT GO OUT AND BLAST EVERY HARE IN ONE SWOOP ,ON A CERTAIN BIT OFF LAND, JUST BECAUSE ITS TRADITION , ITS A FORM OF PEST CONTROL THATS NOT LIVING WITH NATURE, AND THE HARE IN ITS EXISTANCE HAS NEVER BEEN A PEST , ALL MY LIFE I,VE LIVE WITH THE HARE, AND I,VE NEVER SEEN IT ROUGHT HAVOC ON ITS FEEDING GROUNDS, BUT THE RABBIT AND PIGEON, CAN REACH THE PLAGUE PROPORTIONS THAT DIRECT ACTION MUST BE TAKEN AT TIMES TO CONTROL THEM, ANYWAY HAND ON MY HEART ,I KNOW I,VE ALWAYS TREATED THE QUARRY I,VE HUNTED WITH RESPECT, MORE THAN SOME I,VE MET ,AND THAT IS THE TRUTH.