Dogo Argentino or performance American Bulldog

Guest ocs1867

potstillgold

i like you & i think Alanos are good looking dogs. but we still haven't been able to make a GOOD catchdog out of the Alanos that have been tried in the states. to be fair most Alanos here are owned and bred by people that would lose their mind if you wanted to catch hogs with them.

and Dogoman's dogos have been hunted for over 24 hours staight on occassion, free running and followed on horseback. 8-12 hours a day for a week is not uncommon either.

be careful about being breedblind and making grandiose statements. they have a way of biting you in the butt. the first time i took my catahoulaXAB bear hunting, all those houndsmen thought my dog would be back at the truck in an hour. six hard run hours later and he was in at least as good a shape as their walkers and plotts.

potstillgold

i like you & i think Alanos are good looking dogs. but we still haven't been able to make a GOOD catchdog out of the Alanos that have been tried in the states. to be fair most Alanos here are owned and bred by people that would lose their mind if you wanted to catch hogs with them.

and Dogoman's dogos have been hunted for over 24 hours staight on occassion, free running and followed on horseback. 8-12 hours a day for a week is not uncommon either.

be careful about being breedblind and making grandiose statements. they have a way of biting you in the butt. the first time i took my catahoulaXAB bear hunting, all those houndsmen thought my dog would be back at the truck in an hour. six hard run hours later and he was in at least as good a shape as their walkers and plotts.

pops, i don't mind and I think you are also a decent guy. i'm not breedblind, but i have a bit of experience with these dogs mentioned and have lots of contact with those who hunt them much more regularly. i don't know of any US alanos that has even been tried on a boar, if you do then you are one up on me (you can PM me to tell me about the ones you know of)......You don't MAKE a catchdog of an alano, which leads me to think that those you have heard about are not the real deal. That said there are those rare items which will go like a missiles at 6 months and others that will standy-off until a bit older. i'm talking about a relentless hunt on Huelva mountains or in the Peaks of Europe in midday heat and at a tempo which seperates the triers from the achievers, not just being out for the day. the other breeds simply don't keep up. that's my experience, which is not exhaustive, admittedly.....But I was referring to the breeds initially asked about and so far there has never been any cross-breed to live up to these dogs that I know of..........

Anyway, you know where I am headed and maybe we'll get to run them out together?

cheers!

i believe there are plenty of Alanos capable of doing the job, but the percentage of Alanos in the USA that even get to see a hog are pretty small.

the breeds asked about have differences in what they do, but good or better examples of both are dynamite at what they do.

i have seen some great purebreds of many breeds but many of the better dogs i have seen have been crossbred. be open minded. also most importantly the only person who has to be happy with the way your dogs work is you.

when i'm not in Iraq i'm in North Carolina. come on down and we'll get w/ some freinds of mine to run bear and then we'll look for some feral hogs.

Edited by Pops
i believe there are plenty of Alanos capable of doing the job, but the percentage of Alanos in the USA that even get to see a hog are pretty small.

the breeds asked about have differences in what they do, but good or better examples of both are dynamite at what they do.

i have seen some great purebreds of many breeds but many of the better dogs i have seen have been crossbred. be open minded. also most importantly the only person who has to be happy with the way your dogs work is you.

when i'm not in Iraq i'm in North Carolina. come on down and we'll get w/ some freinds of mine to run bear and then we'll look for some feral hogs.

sounds, good bro! keep your head-down over there, eh?! I don't think there are 50 alanos in the US yet and like you alluded to, those guys have mostly paid money which would keep them from risking their dogs!!!!!!! that's going to change in nearer future as I hope to be able to supply to hunters are realistic rates for the dogs, we'll see how things pan out, but I'll be breeding hunting dogs that will go to hunting homes.

i'll look forward to a trip down the east coast!

take it easy!

Coyote

the desire to fight and hold is soo ingrained in bull & terriers that out of 3-4 pet bulls from the pound at least one will make a fair catchdog and you might get one or two helpers to hold you over until you get a good catchdog raised up. also 1st crosses have a way of unlocking the genes that crap breeders are shutting down so a labXboxer or dalmationXbullmastiff from the pound has as good a chance or better. most such dogs are free to good home & in the pound because the owner (who probably shouldn't own a goldfish) can't handle the dog and the dog is running the house. there are dozens of GOOD pig & bear dogs put down everyday or wasting away w/obesity because they never got a chance. ultimately most dogs want to be dogs and are thrilled to start hunting.

you've seen ABs tuck & run, i've seen the same from "well bred" pits. i've not seen it in the 1/2 dozen dogos or the couple of ABs that i've hunted with (all had at least some hines or stout breeding). i've seen bear bred plotts that were "gritty bear dogs" turned into cheerleaders by rough hogs. i've also seen beagles that didn't have a field dog in their 10 gen ped stretch a coyote. one latched on the throat of a coyote 2X his size and hung like a bulldog. i know of a fella in iowa had his 6month old basset hound get his leg broke and still had to be physically removed from a hog.

there's no telling what a dog (any dog) is going to do until you put it on the spot, but you can play the percentages. that means you got a better chance than not of getting a hard dog from bull or mastiff background.

as for fair, is it fair to take a great hunter and electroshock the hunt drive out of him and end his life early from obesity because some needle penis wants to compensate w/a tough dog? or let a potentially great catchdog be put down because MOST people are incompetant to handle a goldfish let alone a real dog.

it's only a waste of time if you half ass it and expect dynamite results, which is what most people do w/ free/cheap dogs. now if where you live the pound charges more than it costs to buy a descent purebred, then yeah it's a waste of money. but where i live i can get 4 pet bulls for less than $200 from the pound and the occassional free to good home. if they're a little rough, it usually ain't nothing smart handling or a hotshot won't fix. yeah they still might be put down but at least they get a chance at a good hard life. and you got to be smart about it. if i go to the pound and see a plott he's probably there because he's not a bear/boar dog. the pointer OTH is probably an incurable fur hunter and might make a hogdog. the labXcollie has some good stuff in the background give him a crack and he might make a fair smart baydog. that bostonXbeagle might just be a gritty little baydog perfect for blackberry thickets.

hogdogging is a very individual thing for dogs. for a variety of reasons (but mostly poor overbreeding for $) a lot of purebreds that are supposed to be the cats ass aren't worth a crap.

i'm not saying DONT give them a chance. i'm only pointing out the fact that a lot of people are retards and the majority walking around today DO half-ass a lot of things. those dogs are in the pound because their people failed, not the dog.

someone, like you apparently, who knows what he's doing when training dogs probably COULD take any mutt from the kennel and turn it into a dead game catch dog because that's you're business and you have an understanding of the way a dog thinks and how his instincts work..... but, a lot of people dont..

You dont know why those dogs are in the pound. it might be there because it cant get along with another male dog. or because it bit the guy nextdoor too many times because he looked at him funny.

personally i wouldnt want a dog aggressive pit bull (or PET as you call them) in among my pack..... i also dont want to worry about some other dog that might try to turn around and bite a friend who is trying to pull him off a hog.

sometimes you dont find out that little quirk until the dog does it.

anyway in the end i'm not saying DONT look to the shelters. there are a lot of good hunting dogs that have been thrown out. hell, some of them are usually picked up as strays!

i guess it also depends on your region. where i live the pits in those cages are profit puppies, strays, or someones failed fighting dog. they're also not proper athletic pits. they're over sized, short, bowlegged hippos with breathing problems.

Sure he might die trying to catch that hog, and thats better than dying at the end of a needle..... but i'm not doing this to give a dog one last thrill. i want to kill HOGS, not dogs. and i dont want to endanger myself or anyone else because the hog slaughtered the dogs and is now coming after me :icon_eek:

now if i was coon hunting.... deer... some other game, then yeah i'd do that. i would go get a walker or red bone from the pound and let it do its job.

just not with with pigs lol

BUT i'm also new to hog hunting! i'm using my own head, along with what i've learned from others. its not an animal i want to take a chance on because i value my own life a little too much lol

anyway i dont want to argue because i do agree with you for the most part :victory: i just dont have much faith in the people who go looking for "fast cheap and easy".. its been my experience that like to take the easy path dont usually like to work hard for results. they want them handed to them.

most pound puppy petbulls that don't cut it aren't killed by the hog. they get put down because they're unwilling to engage the hog. if they'll catch at all you can fix the where. and as for aggression, well a hotshot has a way of taking the fight out of dogs that won't even blink at a e-collar. but you don't just go to the pound and snatch up any old dog. like i said you got to think about what you're doing. most are there because they were mishandled, period. very few are incurably aggressive (ultimately none are incurable as long as you have a shotgun). the problem w/ people paying real money for "hogdogs," is that no one is willing to put down a $300-500 failure. they pass them around to let others go through the hassle of finding out they're worthless. a $35-50 or free dog doesn't get that consideration. so as long as you're willing to put in the effort, and you sound like you would, a young houdini of a bulldog from the pound may well work. honestly between my self and the guys i know, i've been hit by the baydogs about 3 or 4 times but only once by a bulldog (that one turned out to have a brain tumor) and thats about normal.

but you're absolutely right, most people won't put the effort in to the cheap dogs they do with the high dollar ones. so it's not a good plan for most people. but it is a program that works for people that treat all dogs the same regardless of price tag.

you have a better chance of turning the pound pointer into a hog dog then the redbone into a coonhound, chances are somebody already screwed that up for you.

Edited by Pops