Clap trap or bow net trap

Looking for plans for a clap trap (made one already) and a bow net trap.

Batemans book shows a Goshawk trap but not the workings. Don't need a swedish one as this is just a single catch larson.

Anyone got any old plans they can post or scan from a book?

Without netting attached

post-16512-1212351282.jpg

H

A word of warning ~

Setting 'spring traps for birds' is illegal as a very well known trap maker found out when he was forced to recall all of his new line of crow and magpie traps back in the day for this very reason. His trap was a simple snap close net trap too.

Quite how Larsen managed to escape this legality is not quite clear to me, but the 'other' did not.

Food for thought . . . . ?

OTC

My working assumption has always been that 'nets' are banned but the Larsen is a 'cage' and thus unaffected.

In fact I've even considered that a 'moving cage' like the hawk trap would technically be legal if used for a legal quarry.

I must stress though that I have never validated that with any authority nor with a thorough study of the legislation.

You can still buy them on the net too, even in britain.

I don't intend using them, I like to build traps and see if I can improve the design somewhat. I think it silly that the clap trap and others can't be used for catching magpie call birds. jays, pigeons and rooks, when I can legally use a larson, or pyramid drap. Even a trap such as the sparrow or starling trap can be used, just not for those species anymore.

I think that very soon the government will issue a cull on inland seagulls and which trap do you use then? The larson and the ladder trap are both a type of net trap although without springs in the case of the latter. I understand that a bird in a net would be uncomfortable until released, however, it would not be able to struggle as in a cage trap.

Anyway, enough from me, as I say, I just like to have the designs and plans for a hobby.

All the best to all

H

My working assumption has always been that 'nets' are banned but the Larsen is a 'cage' and thus unaffected.

Fenn's Venus trap was a cage trap rather than a net and that was the trap I was referring to. It was made from all steel and wire (same as a Larsen) but was considered a 'spring trap' by the Ministry and banned by the legislation, possibly because of misinterpretation of the wording - ie it was a trap powered by a spring and therefore must be a spring trap. How Gilbertson and Page's Hoodie trap, and Youngs Perfection traps escaped penalty I have no idea when they employed a net powered by a spring to catch their target.

Perhaps Ditch will know the answer to this one . . . ??

OTC

Thanks OTC. Do you have a pic of the venus anywhere?

What I am really after is the catches and mechanisms, when making my own traps I like to look at other options when it comes to the trip or pan.

The Goshawk trap I refered to in batemans book doesn't show the mechanism, but does show the 'arming' arms.

Cheers

H

Guest Ditch_Shitter
How Gilbertson and Page's Hoodie trap, and Youngs Perfection traps escaped penalty I have no idea when they employed a net powered by a spring to catch their target.

Perhaps Ditch will know the answer to this one . . . ??

Combination of things, I shouldn't wonder? Youngs had long since learned how to keep beneath the radar. Their catalogues were always peppered with vague reminders of bits of law and shit like they'd only sell such and such to Lisenced people. Never asked me for a lisence! :D

But, more than that, as has already been touched on here; I'd imagine that it's simply that there's no " Net " about the Venus. Mesh, maybe. But by no stretch of the imagination could one hope to get away with calling it a " Spring powered net ". See the differance? Gilpa's " Hoodie " was, like the various Youngs things, very much a spring powered net.

I'm fast losing all memory of the relevant legislation nowadays as it's just no longer relevant to me. But I do rather suspect, if ye study the old " Protection of Birds Act, 1954 ", ye'll find that's what Fenn came unstuck against. And I further suspect it was because someone with an axe to grind spotted that the Venus was a " Trap ". Sprung in Mr Fenns' kitchen and the rest, as they say, is history.