• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest newboy

great thread

I reckon though that I wont feed my dogs my scraps

ask Pickaxe for proof of what my food has done for me...lol

can anyone recommend a good book on BARF ??

great thread

I reckon though that I wont feed my dogs my scraps

ask Pickaxe for proof of what my food has done for me...lol

can anyone recommend a good book on BARF ??

While I'm sure everyone has their own opinion, I would only recommend "Raw Meaty Bones - Promote Health" by Dr Tom Lonsdale. It's a book heavily based on scientific work, publications etc, and gives a strong argument for raw feeding. That's in contrast to certain other authors who sell books telling you how to feed veggie mush, then try to sell you said mush LOL

You can get it cheap on Amazon :good:

Guest newboy
While I'm sure everyone has their own opinion, I would only recommend "Raw Meaty Bones - Promote Health" by Dr Tom Lonsdale.  It's a book heavily based on scientific work, publications etc, and gives a strong argument for raw feeding.  That's in contrast to certain other authors who sell books telling you how to feed veggie mush, then try to sell you said mush LOL

You can get it cheap on Amazon  :good:

ordered :)

Guest daz halford

ive always fed complete food soaked up, added with chicken wings tuna or sardines what ever i can get my hands on.

speaking to a racing fella this morning theres a farm near him corby way,that sell dog foods.

was telling me to try something called st johnstons t gold cup i think its called %27% £6 a sack will be picking a few sacks up tommorrow and give it a go

:good: The only thing I'd mention is it's almost novel-style at first, giving the background on how and why he (as a vet) realised dogs should eat raw fresh meat and bones and not corn and cabbage. Some people have commented its a bit boring (I didn't think so), but believe me stick with it. Don't skip chapters that seem to be boring or irrelevant, they ALL contain pearls of wisdom, important scientific information, and tips n tricks.

Enjoy the book, I know I did :D

ive always fed complete food soaked up, added with  chicken wings tuna or sardines what ever i can get my hands on.

speaking to a racing fella this morning theres a farm near him corby way,that sell dog foods.

was telling me to try something called st johnstons t gold cup i think its called  %27% £6 a sack  will be picking a few sacks up tommorrow and give it a go

Do you mean Dr Johns Gold daz

Ive been thinking about changing my dogs diet recently expecially as the season will soon be creeping up on us again, and i shall be on the road and be out alot more so i want my dogs to be in pretty good condition!

As im a pretty busy young lad with work etc, i would like to know of a complete food that is pretty good to buy, ive scanned through the first pages of this thread but to be honest, i dont get bored of all the big long posts so i just either scan threw them or just pass them lol sorry if you will be repeating yourself in advance!

Any websites that i could order a sack of food off?

i looked on one site someone posted and it was like 33quid a sack, that to me seems pricey,espesh when your only on a apprentice wage :lol:

Am i looking to be paying that for a sack then?

Thanks in advance

Guest Geordie

Ive just got a sack of Redmills Greyhound Racer,for £12.50 15kilo sack,ive heard ye can get it cheaper,but im not driving round looking for it wasting petrol money when the shop is only a couple of miles down the road. :D

Guest Corkonian

Been feeding throtles and jaw beef for the past few years (?) - great stuff - clean and the dogs like it - I give redmills once a week and bones another day.

Last week though the vets stopped everyone drawing food from the slaughter house - so I'm fairly f****d now :blink:

This thread is a good read though - got some ideas - thanks :good:

Guest reload
Been feeding throtles and jaw beef for the past few years (?) - great stuff - clean and the dogs like it - I give redmills once a week and bones another day.

Last week though the vets stopped everyone drawing food from the slaughter house - so I'm fairly f****d now :blink:

This thread is a good read though - got some ideas - thanks :good:

OX cheek is really good gear for dogs Corkonian, wish we could get it easily here in the UK.......bur since bse were knackered. Higher protein that fillet steak OX cheek, great for the dogs in the winter.

Guest Geordie

Trying the mutt on raw chicken bits,just the cheap bags from Tescos. She didnt know what to make of it at first :D sort of looked at me as if to say,WTF?? :11:

Anyway she's soon got the hang of it,and she seems to be loving it,just need to find a decent butcher in the area so i can get some other bones and stuff to try her with :D

She dont seem too keen on the redmills complete,but i'll keep trying her with it every other day or so :D

I started out feeding chicken wings from Tezzies as well mate, but I soon moved over to the meat wholesalers. I pay 15p a pound (£3 for a 20lbs crate) of chicken backs with all the meat and skin still on.

Don't forget you'll still have to give them tripe, liver, heart, kidney etc. Good luck with it :)