What bad things have you heard about zeroing a .243 mate? I use a .243 for Fallow/Roe and I have it for foxes as well,and,YES I do think that a .270 is a bit overkill for Roe,and,you might have trouble getting the 'Old Bill' putting a .270 down for foxes anyway.....................Martin.IMG_3605.jpg

Nice pic Martin :victory:

I know i always bang on about a 6.5x55 but have you considered on of these? its got enough grunt for everything and recognised as a fox cal by the old plod. I guess, no matter what rifle you use it mainly it depends what ammo you are using and where you shoot them. Something that will hold together more as opposed to a ballistic / v-max round's through boiler room / neck as opposed to a shoulder pin shot. A hot 85gr V-MAX .243 round in the wrong place will knacker a roe just a well as a .270.

Edited to say .243 is a superb all-rounder and a dream to shoot & zero

Edited by Local

I agree with the last post, nothing wrong with a .243's accuracy, not being smart, but how experienced are you with centrefire rifles, a .270 probably isn't the best calibre to start out with, for your purposes anything from .222 up would be fine, .270 is a lot of firearm.

Great pic Martin.

Edited by FJager
I agree with the last post, nothing wrong with a .243's accuracy, not being smart, but how experienced are you with centrefire rifles, a .270 probably isn't the best calibre to start out with, for your purposes anything from .222 up would be fine, .270 is a lot of firearm.

Great pic Martin.

no a 222 is no good for deer i allready have a 223 but need at least a 243 for bambi

Hello there is so many factors for a rifle not grouping & the biggest is the twit behind the trigger but the 243 is an exelent cal but i cant stand 270. I would go for the 243/6.5x55 over the 270 the 243 (6mm) is a great accurate round with some great bullet choice if you load it as is 6.5.

ive just heard locally some ones had 2 different 243s and couldnt zero them.

What rifle is that martin, remmington 700???

I would suspect that the problem was with the 'someone' trying to do the zeroing rather than the rifles!

i agree with this comment, it's what's behind the rifle that the zeroing is done not the rifle itself.

if i can't get the .243 ammo to shoot 3/4 inch group or less i dont use it, and have never had any trouble zeroing it ever. Two different rifles that didn't sort the problem tell me it's the shooter, not the rifles.

sorry if that seems harsh but it's the only logical explanation there is. i shoot 58g 70g,87, 95g all through the .243 and have no problems with them.

So i would stay away from the .270 till things improve in consistancy of shot placement.

243 is a great tool for that job. My RWS shoots sub inch (and tbh quite a bit better, but at a quid a bang I don't do too many targets with it!) quite happily and though I've only shot roe with it, I have no doubt that with sensible shot placement it will do bigger - clearly plenty of poke for roe.

As for needing 243, well, legally in England/Wales, yes you do, but in terms of bullet required, well, 22 Hornet was a deer calibre and most of its factory ammo is still designed for deer use. While Joe Public might struggle (hence why it's not legal for deer any more) its original invention speaks volumes to me - little bullets work, you just have to be able to shoot straight!

Hello there is so many factors for a rifle not grouping & the biggest is the twit behind the trigger

:clapper::clapper:

but the 243 is an exelent cal but i cant stand 270. I would go for the 243/6.5x55 over the 270 the 243 (6mm) is a great accurate round with some great bullet choice if you load it as is 6.5.

Good advice, I have always had .270's and after speaking with V-max I was going to go to a 6.5x55, the only reason I didn't was I couldn't get it in a Rem 700 nor the .260 Rem which ballistically is very similar to the 6.5.

Now I take these blokes dislike for the .270 is the recoil which can be a bit much, shot after shot on the range, the Rem 700 SPS I bought in .270 has an awesome recoil pad and with its design is great to shoot with little felt recoil.

Not sure on the legalities on where you hunt but your .223 will handle deer quiet well as will a .243.