but dont you guys find after catching so many all you can tast is the stink of the guts,ive left them soaking in salt water but still they stink,i would love to eat rabbit but cant anything else i catch no problem with eating,what do you sugest.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

but dont you guys find after catching so many all you can tast is the stink of the guts,ive left them soaking in salt water but still they stink,i would love to eat rabbit but cant anything else i catch no problem with eating,what do you sugest.

Doga, i was like you too. I tried the usual pies , casserolles etc and have never been keen on the "rabbit" taste.

Try the rabbit massalla please! it tastes EXACTLY like chicken. The jars of such like are a really good way of helping you get you free protein if , like me and you, your not keen on the taste of rabbit. the rabbit in the george formby with the cajun dust marinade didnt taste anything like rabbit either, but was SSOOOO easy and was gorgeous.

you can use anything for this but rabbit will do

take some

rabbit peaces

mix up a batter mix with chilli in it and deep fry.

or use a bowl off flour dip peaces in then into a beaten eeg then in to bread crumps and oven cook

very tasty

.m

Surprised no ones mentioned that time honered classic?

Honey, brown sugar and mustard marianated rabbit on the barbeque.(its quite lean so your need olive oil too!!)

People come from miles to my rabbit roasts....

I also freeze throught the year and defrost for the bbq.

:boogie:

Matt

same here regarding the "twang" taste from rabbit

read an old book and an old guy overheard me in the butcher and said same.......soak em overnight in milk!!!! i used full fat stuff and it worked no smell during cooking and tasted so tender ..mmmmmmmm

sauer

Surprised no ones mentioned that time honered classic?

Honey, brown sugar and mustard marianated rabbit on the barbeque.(its quite lean so your need olive oil too!!)

People come from miles to my rabbit roasts....

I also freeze throught the year and defrost for the bbq.

:boogie:

Matt

done that for tonight for a bbq round my mates, instant hit. every one wanted the secret recipe. thing i will keep it int hte family

Photo of end results of rabbits shot this morning. Rabbit tikka massala!

Other photo is of the kids, they ate the lot. It doesnt get any more organic than rabbit, and its tasty too!

that meal looks really good. i miss my rabbit meals but my wife would`nt entertain them . ive just talked her round to trying some if i cook ( no probs ) i`m always gutted when i have to give all away i catch

I've just had a go at making the BBQ marinade in jamie olivers, jamie at home book and although i tried it first with chicken breasts, this will be devastatingly good with rabbit skewers or something like that........ for those who dont have the book, here is what you'll need...........

1 heaped teaspoon of cumin seeds

2 tablespoons of fennel seeds

5 cloves

sea salt and freshly ground pepper

a bunch of fresh thyme or lemon thyme, leaves picked

a bunch of fresh rosemary picked and chopped

zest and juice of 1 orange

1 bulb of garlic, broken into cloves peeled

4 heaped teaspoons of sweet smoked paprika

6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

150ml tomato ketchup

8 tablespoons olive oil

10 bay leaves

To make, gring the cumin seeds, fennel seeds and cloves in a pestle and mortar with some sea salt and pepper.

Chop the thyme and rosemary leaves, orange zest and garlic together finely. Put into a bowl with the ground spices, then add the the rest of the marinade ingredients and mix together. Viola!!!!

Now i didnt have any fennel seeds cos i couldn't get them in asda and the other shop was shut, and i used dried herbs instead of freshly chopped stuff and it was absolutely spot on, in the future i'm only gonna use half an orange zest and juice, but thats just my personal taste!!!! have a go at it you wont regret it!!!!!!!

oooohhhhh trappa that masala looks the business!!!!! have to try that, im hungry now. nice to see the kids tucking in. When my nephew has bought his rabbits home my niece won't entertain eating bunny (but she did take a rabbit skin once, lopped off one of the ears and stashed it in her wendy house. when we found out what she had done she just said 'don't like meat but I just wanted to have a rabbitt ear to love'. strange kid! she was 6 at the time. it was all a bit weird for me)

Tracy

Edited by Tracy36

a tip for you every time you get any game cut the meat of save it in the freezer till you have a few pound take it to a good butcher and let him sausage it for you i do it with everything from rooks to venison

a tip for you every time you get any game cut the meat of save it in the freezer till you have a few pound take it to a good butcher and let him sausage it for you i do it with everything from rooks to venison

great idea mate, im pally with my local butcher so its got to be worth a try