tips on ferrets and ferreting

Guest jojoamojo

Guest RAB.MCKAY
can any one help !

wats the best ferret finder to use . i have the old type grey box and its worked a treat for years but its starting to play up ,

mk3 mate will cost about 160 though

CHEERS MATE TOOK YOUR ADVISE MK3 GREAT JOB .

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TIGHTS, Womens TIGHTS, not bloody stockings and suspenders. lmao

Posted Images

Dont know if this has already been mentioned (couldn't be bothered reading back to check), but I drill a hole in my pegs, then thread some knicker elastic through & tie it into a loop. Once you've rolled your net up, secure it to the peg with the elastic, & it'll keep your nets from tangling in your bag.................you can also chuck a spare to your oppo' without it unravelling in flight.

Also, if you get a hang-up, stick a bun with its belly pouch opened (but the gut still in) down one of the holes...............even if your ferts asleep underground, he'll come up & grab hold. You can then 'fish' him out. I don't use collars, incidentally, & I've never left a fert at a bury in over 20 years.

You may need to hang around for a wee while in some cases, but then, if you don't intend being at a bury for more than 10 minutes you're probably not supposed to be there in the first place & deserve what you inevitably have coming B)

• 2 weeks later...

we can ferret all year round in australia but i tend to use mine more as the weather cools just before winter and just starts to warm up after winter ,,,,,,,,,i use tea tree oilon my ferrets ,it keeps fleas off them heals up sores quickly {backs of necks } and helps with mange and hair loss ,,,jas

Guest STORM CHASER
My top tip....

Is respect your ferrets at all times, they deserve as much care and attention as you dog, and more than you wife!! :angel:

It pays dividends when you are sticking you hands down a hole :yes:

IMG_56752.jpg

:clapper::D:clapper::D:clapper::D:clapper:

Just a question,

If I'm not mistaken, there are only a period of time when you can go ferreting right? What do your ferrets get busy with when its off season? Thanks!

rabbits are classed as a pest species, therefore can be hunted all year round, they dont have open and closed seasons like other animals/birds, some people stop ferreting in the summer/breeding months, others like myself carry on

• 2 months later...

i do a bit of night ferreting, and i find it useful to carry one of those little cheep blue led key ring torches, it emits a near uv light, i put a small dab of white paint on all my tools, shovel, locator etc and a little white tag on all my nets, that way when you shine the torch the white realy glows, sticks out like a sore thumb in the darkness and its easier to find everything!

• 3 weeks later...
Might sound like a basic question and maybe a silly one, But when will I know my Jill is in season? Is it the same as with dogs?

ATB Mike.

if you already got ferrets & they are from last years litter she will be in season now

( if you havnt mated her or had her jabbed e.t.c)

but dont mean to sound awkward but why you asking questions like that, you should know the answers already,before you got your ferret/s

regards john

Someone mentioned not hammering pegs in cause the sound will deter coneys from bolting. This is very true and will increase the number of digs. I like a dig but not too many!

Anyway, if you wear a cap then I recommend putting the brim of the cap onto the peg, this makes it more comfortable to push a lot harder without hurting your hand! If no cap, a stone or stick will do the trick.

Also, avoid bright coloured clothes. Often rabbits will peek out for a

second before bolting and if the see you they will sit tighter. Plus if you look like a chav then onlookers will be suspicious. Farmers can be twitchy about White t shirts, Nike trainers and ear rings.

Personally I think it is more respectful to landowners and the sport to not look like Vicki Pollard when out ferreting. Yer but no but yer!!

Edited by rosspti
  • 4 weeks later...
Dont know if this has already been mentioned (couldn't be bothered reading back to check), but I drill a hole in my pegs, then thread some knicker elastic through & tie it into a loop. Once you've rolled your net up, secure it to the peg with the elastic, & it'll keep your nets from tangling in your bag.................you can also chuck a spare to your oppo' without it unravelling in flight.

Thats a good one mate i might do that ;)