gollum

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Aye if you left that net out round here it would grow legs and run

Round here too...if it was worth nicking :)

Thats why its made from bamboo and old silage bale netting. It cost me under a tenner including poles and lines. Anyone nicking it would be mighty disappointed when they discovered it was covered in sheep s**t and no use for netting anything apart from raspberries :)

But...the damn thing scares the rabbits so much its no good even as a dummy for drop netting :wallbash:

Im going to dry and dye it dark green, if the dye takes then I'll try it again....

HH.

G

hi G

any joy yet ?

rich

Hi Rich,

Nope, lots of head scratching :)

I'll try dyeing the dummy net at some point but Im a bit focused on long netting when the harvesting starts at the mo. It should be any day now, so Ive just made another 3 50 yard 4z sheet long nets ready for it :) Hopefully 300 yards in total will be enough..should be fun anyway.

How did you get on with the cam?

G.

keep us posted with some pictures when you get the net sorted .....

havent put the cam under ground yet, waiting for another couple of months to try it on a certain warren....

rich

• 4 weeks later...

Hi G

Good reading, I have designed a way of dropping a longnet. Put the idea to a few friends and they all say it will work.

Very intrested on how the rabbits are reacting to the dummy net. I have a place where there must be 1000 plus rabbits but it is lit up at night, and trying to get a net set out is impossible. the only way is to set it out in the day then drop it at night from a distance.

please keep us informed on how succesfull your system is. it looks good.

craggrat

Hi G

Good reading, I have designed a way of dropping a longnet. Put the idea to a few friends and they all say it will work.

Very intrested on how the rabbits are reacting to the dummy net. I have a place where there must be 1000 plus rabbits but it is lit up at night, and trying to get a net set out is impossible. the only way is to set it out in the day then drop it at night from a distance.

please keep us informed on how succesfull your system is. it looks good.

craggrat

Hi Cragrat,

The rabbit reaction is puzzling and as yet unsolved though I suspect the white net was the issue, not helped by the bamboo/guy assembly being a bit wobbly too. I will dye the net at some point and try again but right now ive got my hands quite full on the estates.

You say that the set your thinking of working is lit up at night. If I were you I would loft the nets, find a comfy perch and watch for as long as it takes to figure out how the rabbits react. Being able to see em should be a great advantage, but then again I suspect that it will work against you in that they may shy away from the net like mine have here.

Another thing that seems quite important is the options the rabbits have. For example, if they have a feeding area to the side of the set as well as in front, then maybe they will completely avoid the area they have to pass under the net to get to in favour of the "safe" area to the side. Its just one of the many variables that seem to affect drop netting. Bottom line seems to be, if they can feed without going under it, they wont! Inside woodland is something I intend to experiment with as Mr Wyman recommends. Assuming the poles are well spaced, I would guess that being hidden in amongst trees would help to camouflage the nets a great deal.

I'll update this post as I try things.

HH all.

G.