Butler Creek flip up scope covers

Guest JohnGalway

Guest JohnGalway

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a Butler Creek flip up scope cover for the oobjective end of my Nightforce scope, rain/mist etc plays hell with it and bikini covers are too much hassle. It's a 56mm scope, digital calipers is bust at the moment but the reading I get from the printed marks on it is 65mm or 2.55 inches. Ok so far. Until I go on to Target Sports website to buy one of the damned things. I bought one already, and I forget which of their model interpretations it was but it's got "51 OBJ" printed on it. But, as you've guessed, it's not fitting. More precisely the plastic cap end won't clip onto the rubber bit that goes over my sunshade. This should be a bloody simple exercise but it's not.

Any help will be gratefully recieved.

All the best,

John

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Can't ye just pop the gun / scope down to ye Gunnie and pick up the right ones, mate? I have the Butler Creeks. Saw them. Said; " I want a set of those, Dave! ". He brought a set out, popped them on there and then. Sorted.

Not something I'd be without. But not something I'd feel the need or point to sending off for either.

john with the butler creek cap you bought you sgould of got a sizeing chart inside the box, but i think its a 43 objective you need.....

http://www.millettsights.com/controller.ph...d_tools/guides/

http://www.millettsights.com/images/instru...utler_Creek.pdf

check your outside measurments and check with the scope chart size in the link above.........

Guest JohnGalway

I found a chart on Cabelas that I need to print out, which I'll do tomorrow. How's this for arseways, I print it out, put the objective on the printout and then I'm supposed to know what size I need. Do these people not have calipers?

My closest gunshop is a 100 mile round trip, sod that. This is an item that should be easily purchasable on the internet, this sizing thing is a proper joke though. BC website doesn't even have an email address!! It's easier for me to send off for them as I don't have to waste half a day travelling then.

Gah, don't mind me, am in foul humour. I'll get it sorted.

Measure across the diameter of the objective lens, and again for the eye piece. Take into account anything that may increase the diameter, especially if you have parallax adjuster or something like a battery housing for an illuminated reticule. I made that mistake here and it cost me a small fortune in postage! :D

When you phone the gun shop tell them the exact measurements and ask if they have them in stock. They should be able to tell you there and then and it will save you the hassle of waiting for the postman only to find it's all wrong.

Don't rely on printed charts because if your printer is off, then so will the template.

Guest buster321c

ive brought 2 sets in the last 6 months , one for this first Hawk Sport hd scope 3-9 x 40 , was ok but the eyepiece end has split and has tape on it and one set for JSR 4-16X44 Mill Dot Target plus ,this pair have been on for a couple of weeks and the 56mm end has started to split , these ones are from the auction site and are supposed to cover all sizes eg - 53-58mm 38-43mm each time ive measured the scope and tried to get the next size up lens cover but they are just crap and i wont buy anymore might even throw them out and use nothing !!

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a Butler Creek flip up scope cover for the oobjective end of my Nightforce scope, rain/mist etc plays hell with it and bikini covers are too much hassle. It's a 56mm scope, digital calipers is bust at the moment but the reading I get from the printed marks on it is 65mm or 2.55 inches. Ok so far. Until I go on to Target Sports website to buy one of the damned things. I bought one already, and I forget which of their model interpretations it was but it's got "51 OBJ" printed on it. But, as you've guessed, it's not fitting. More precisely the plastic cap end won't clip onto the rubber bit that goes over my sunshade. This should be a bloody simple exercise but it's not.

Any help will be gratefully recieved.

All the best,

John

JOHN i had the same problem with my NF. the objective on the NF is 64.94mm-2.554in i had to buy a butler creek cover and found no44 the best fit but not exact i had to add one layer of tape to the inside of the cover for a perfect fit the NF range of scopes are actually bigger than most scopes when its the objectve only by a few mm but enough to cause arse pains.

I found a chart on Cabelas that I need to print out, which I'll do tomorrow. How's this for arseways, I print it out, put the objective on the printout and then I'm supposed to know what size I need. Do these people not have calipers?

My closest gunshop is a 100 mile round trip, sod that. This is an item that should be easily purchasable on the internet, this sizing thing is a proper joke though. BC website doesn't even have an email address!! It's easier for me to send off for them as I don't have to waste half a day travelling then.

Gah, don't mind me, am in foul humour. I'll get it sorted.

john i have printed that chart from cabelas but the they by the sizes 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 but we can only get them in 42 44, 45, 46 on so on ,that chart is no good onless you know that a 8 is a 42 if know what i mean,cheers sounder

On the objective on my S&B on my Tikka .243, we had to try several sizes in my local gunshop until we found a 'best fit' and even with that, the flip down cover is slightly difficult to get it to latch properly in the closed position, seemingly because the ring that goes over the objective ring is a tight fit.

Rgds

MM

Guest JohnGalway

I've given in and will be going on Ditchs suggestion, likely take a trip to the gunshop Saturday if I'm not working. I have a 51 already. It's not that it doesn't fit... It's got one of the newer kind of flexi rubber bits that goes over the sunshade, no problem there, fits well, BUT the problem is the feckin plastic scope cap doesn't latch on properly. I've tried different layers of tape.

I recently bought a pair of "Butler Creek Multiflex" flip up scope covers for a set of Simmons 3.5-10x50 Whitetail Classics and I was the same I had'nt a clue what size to select. I thought feck it and phoned Bagnall & Kirkwoods in Newcastle and said I wanted a pair to fit the Simmons, he took my details and a couple of days later the phone rang and they were ready to collect. However when I eventually got to the shop to collect them not only had they ordered the covers they had only gone and orderded the Simmons as well, he was'nt best pleased when I told him I only wanted the £17 quid covers and not the £140 quid scopes but hey that was'nt my problem. Anyway got them home & they fit like a glove, result!!

Regards

Coney.