combining pest control with a bit of stalking !

Thursday night saw me back at the chicken farm to look for a fox that has been jumping the electric fence and helping itself to a bird or two .

hunting001fm0.jpg

Saw a fox at range but it wasnt stopping for a shot ,no way.Decided on an early morning trip to the same place this morning and did better .Glassed the field with the sheds in and saw a fox over the far end ,apparently none the wiser .Worked out a stalk that kept as many sheds between me and it so i arrived about 70 yds off it .The light was just breaking and i had high hopes as the wind was right .Got to the point of ambush only to see charlie had wandered off about 100 yards down a hedge .I lead down in the prone position and chanced a squeak .This fox must have been a new transient as he wasted no time in covering the ground to provide an easy 40 yd shot in the head .Well pleased .

hunting003xj7.jpg

Went for a stalk around the other side the farm and witnessed a comical event with 3 deer .Spied a trio of roe along a hedge parrallel to me and about 200yds away .A doe was in the middle with mature bucks either side her .What made it funny was that the doe was chivvying the lead buck ,who in turn was pressured by the rear buck which had a much better head than the first .It appeared the to me the rear buck was trying to move the other buck but had the doe in the way of his efforts. Anyway ,their minds were intent on something other than survival as they came ever closer to me up another hedge .The lead buck finally had enough and ran up towards me .The backdrop was a hedge bottem for me so i took him.

hunting004mm9.jpg

hunting005ch8.jpg

He was a good weight but with a poor ,straight head .Got home in time for work .

For those of you with keen eyesight ,yes the shot was a bit far back ,free hand

Edited by foxdropper

Nice going mate, can I ask how the deer reacted on impact with the shot being placed that far back? Did it range forward into the chest cavity or just go straight through?

Cheers

Gabriel

Hello mate -The shot went clean through and the beast jumped a good 8 ft into the air before running blindly through cover and died in a grass field beyond .Cheers .