AAA shotgun ammunition

Knifebar

I don't think anyone is after an arguement or suggesting what you say is impossible but a couple of points.

100 yards is an exceptionally long shot with ANY shotgun cartridge and if you can hit the occassional rabbit or bird at that distance you have done very well.

To be honest, at that range many lighter pellet sizes have run out of power to do the deed.

A lighter cartridge with higher pellet density at closer range will provide a much higher shot to kill ratio in the normal course of events!

AAA is best suited for Deer out to 50-60 yards, many would argue only to about 40 yards! Few would even use this on fox!

Got to admit I don't know what the spread or drop of AAA is at 100 yards but I suspect quite large in both cases.

We all have our preferences and we are all different but your cartridge choice and distance are without doubt unusual!

Deker :thumbs:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest basil46
At the time, about three years ago, I read exhaustively up on this subject and found no mention of rupturing organs. I even contacted the Environment Agency for Wales to clarify the situation, which was followed up with a letter.

The advice may have changed and I am not intending to do it in the future.

I am not the sort to go off half cocked with bad information, I made sure that if questioned I had the justification, the permission and the means to do things right.

All of this was enough for me to carry out the task and it could not be said that I had not looked into the subject in detail, with a letter from a government agency to boot.

Regards

SS

The British Deer Society page on, The use of shotguns for shooting deer. It would be handy to know the full legislation on the subject, after all, who wants to be on the wrong side of the law? Not me, for one.

basil.

Guest basil46
At the time, about three years ago, I read exhaustively up on this subject and found no mention of rupturing organs. I even contacted the Environment Agency for Wales to clarify the situation, which was followed up with a letter.

The advice may have changed and I am not intending to do it in the future.

I am not the sort to go off half cocked with bad information, I made sure that if questioned I had the justification, the permission and the means to do things right.

All of this was enough for me to carry out the task and it could not be said that I had not looked into the subject in detail, with a letter from a government agency to boot.

Regards

SS

The British Deer Society page on, The use of shotguns for shooting deer. It would be handy to know the full legislation on the subject, after all, who wants to be on the wrong side of the law? Not me, for one.

basil.

Guest basil46
Knifebar

I don't think anyone is after an arguement or suggesting what you say is impossible but a couple of points.

100 yards is an exceptionally long shot with ANY shotgun cartridge and if you can hit the occassional rabbit or bird at that distance you have done very well.

To be honest, at that range many lighter pellet sizes have run out of power to do the deed.

A lighter cartridge with higher pellet density at closer range will provide a much higher shot to kill ratio in the normal course of events!

AAA is best suited for Deer out to 50-60 yards, many would argue only to about 40 yards! Few would even use this on fox!

Got to admit I don't know what the spread or drop of AAA is at 100 yards but I suspect quite large in both cases.

We all have our preferences and we are all different but your cartridge choice and distance are without doubt unusual!

The BDS doesn`t even recomend rifled slugs fired from a shotgun so AAA`s are totally out of the question where deer are concerned.

basil46.

come off it AAA for deer at 20-30 yards is more like it and 20 yards is maximum in my book.

and as for bunnys?WHAT ARE YOU LIKE use a six shot like normal people

GET YOURSELF A FAC, i agree that a shotgun WILL take down a deer,but lets be sensible about it,we all know who reads these posts

Knifebar

The BDS doesn`t even recomend rifled slugs fired from a shotgun so AAA`s are totally out of the question where deer are concerned.basil46.

I am confused by such a blanket statement, AAA is a deer legal shotgun cartridge!

Knifebar

The BDS doesn`t even recomend rifled slugs fired from a shotgun so AAA`s are totally out of the question where deer are concerned.basil46.

I am confused by such a blanket statement, AAA is a deer legal shotgun cartridge!

Agree with Deker

AAA is legal read the link i put up

We should be careful criticising fellow hunters on open forums, if its legal its legal, and in some circumstances it is also the best option, whether thats for safety or through force of circumstance.

I always carry a few AAA :whistling:

Guest basil46
Knifebar

Agree with Deker

AAA is legal read the link i put up

We should be careful criticising fellow hunters on open forums, if its legal its legal, and in some circumstances it is also the best option, whether thats for safety or through force of circumstance.

I always carry a few AAA :whistling:

I stand corrected then. My apologies to you. :notworthy:

basil46.