AAA shotgun ammunition

gimli looking at your profile it looks to me as you are probly shootig around top end of london and into herts i also do a bit around here as i live in north london have seen a big rise in numbers of munties in this area and on one big estate they had a drive and one of the farmers i know attended on that day they accounted for 17 munties and they only used shotguns and AAA shot full permission from land owners and proof of damage caused also needed but you still need to be up close to do the job right apply for your fac or find someone with one to give you a hand

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I think you and the others are right. I really need to apply for a FAC that will allow me a .22 centrefire at the least.

I might invest in some AAA cartridges in case the situastion arises where I can safely and cleanly use the shotgun, but using a rifle would be better. I have no desire to leave deer or any other quarry dying slowly from wounds or living with a load of pellets in them.

Yes, I shoot near Hemel Hempstead and up around Radlett - I see munties now and again but more often I come across tracks on the edges of woodland on the farms and see bark damage on trees that I reckon is too high for rabbits but not high enough for Roe.

Whereabouts do you shoot?

potters bar and used to shoot near shenley also some land in cambs in the area you shoot the only type of deer is montie there are no roe locally and the closes fallow are on the herts/essex border mostly i do terrier work but i also shoot a bit

Guest basil46
I agree a Rifle is always going to be x100 better than a shotgun.

As I say I have only had to do it the once on a farm which I am solely allowed to shoot over, the farmer does not trust anyone else, the Roe Doe I shot was a chance shot(even though I was there with the intention of shooting deer with a shotgun), I rounded a corner while walking a hedgerow and the deer was standing around 25 yards away, it hadnt seen me, I was using AAA with a 3/4 choke and took a head shot, it dropped on the spot. I made me feel guilty to shoot a Doe with a shotgun but it had to be done.

If asked to do it now, I would apply for a Deer legal rifle and do it properly, now I have my FAC.

Regards

SS

P.S, Gimli if you happen to know someone with a deer rifle then I would ask him/her to go with you, there is nothing stopping you taking the shot with a friends rifle.

I think you may be on sticky ground here, funnily enough i`ve only pm`d you five mins ago. If you fire at a deer with AAA`s, it has to be a shot that ruptures the internal organs, head shots are a big NO. And, i think you have to contact DEFRA about shooting deer with shotguns. (something about exhausting all avenues) I looked this up recently.

basil.

At the time, about three years ago, I read exhaustively up on this subject and found no mention of rupturing organs. I even contacted the Environment Agency for Wales to clarify the situation, which was followed up with a letter.

The advice may have changed and I am not intending to do it in the future.

I am not the sort to go off half cocked with bad information, I made sure that if questioned I had the justification, the permission and the means to do things right.

All of this was enough for me to carry out the task and it could not be said that I had not looked into the subject in detail, with a letter from a government agency to boot.

Regards

SS

I agree a Rifle is always going to be x100 better than a shotgun.

As I say I have only had to do it the once on a farm which I am solely allowed to shoot over, the farmer does not trust anyone else, the Roe Doe I shot was a chance shot(even though I was there with the intention of shooting deer with a shotgun), I rounded a corner while walking a hedgerow and the deer was standing around 25 yards away, it hadnt seen me, I was using AAA with a 3/4 choke and took a head shot, it dropped on the spot. I made me feel guilty to shoot a Doe with a shotgun but it had to be done.

If asked to do it now, I would apply for a Deer legal rifle and do it properly, now I have my FAC.

Regards

SS

P.S, Gimli if you happen to know someone with a deer rifle then I would ask him/her to go with you, there is nothing stopping you taking the shot with a friends rifle.

I think you may be on sticky ground here, funnily enough i`ve only pm`d you five mins ago. If you fire at a deer with AAA`s, it has to be a shot that ruptures the internal organs, head shots are a big NO. And, i think you have to contact DEFRA about shooting deer with shotguns. (something about exhausting all avenues) I looked this up recently.

basil.

That's news to me as well, never heard about rupturing organs, and hitting a Roe in the head with AAA will do the job VERY well. Can you point me in the direction of the source of this information please. Do agree though a rifle is without doubt the best option! :thumbs:

I find that incredibly hard to believe. 50-90 metres Nearly (100YARDS) And the pattern with even a magnum AAA at this range will be incredibly sparse.

To even attempt to shoot live quarry at this range and to damage something edible like a Rabbit screams of disrespect.

What brands and weight of AAA are you using and through what gun and choke.

Regards

SS

I find that incredibly hard to believe. 50-90 metres Nearly (100YARDS) And the pattern with even a magnum AAA at this range will be incredibly sparse.

To even attempt to shoot live quarry at this range and to damage something edible like a Rabbit screams of disrespect.

Regards

SS

You beat me too it, a bunny at 50-90 metres is likely to walk clean through the pattern of AAA.

Sorry, but first off my consdered experience suggests 50-60 yard max, and size 4 or 5 for rabbit at that distance, definately NOT AAA!

AAA, BB, SG etc., have very limited applications in my opinion, they are devastating at close range on larger animals but are not the shot to use on small animals at distance!

:thumbs:

i have shot Muntjac with my shotgun and AAA, i would do it again if the circumstances dictated, rifles are only usable on some land and in the dense woodland i was shooting (they were damaging the young tree's at the edge) which was not too far from a road and a house, a rifle would have been dangerous or potentially dangerous, and besides i dont have a FAC and am unlikely to be able to get one.

There is a shoot near me i used to beat on, they have an annual muntjac drive in March, i truly think this is the only way to make a dent on the prolific breeding muntjac, in large dense wooded area's, 27 were shot in one march morning, beaters and guns walking in line, i haven't beat on that shoot for years now but i know they still do it, stalking you would be lucky to shoot that many a year, the drive really gets to terms with them, although twice as many escape , out of range or clean missed.......and they breed and replace their numbers by the following spring

The shoot do it as a final days shooting after the game season and before the rearing season, a sort of vermin drive but with only one quarry

Go for it, if the circumstances and opportunity are right, its the finest tasting venison and in the northern home counties in some parts they outnumber rabbits!

i have shot Muntjac with my shotgun and AAA, i would do it again if the circumstances dictated, rifles are only usable on some land and in the dense woodland i was shooting (they were damaging the young tree's at the edge) which was not too far from a road and a house, a rifle would have been dangerous or potentially dangerous, and besides i dont have a FAC and am unlikely to be able to get one.

There is a shoot near me i used to beat on, they have an annual muntjac drive in March, i truly think this is the only way to make a dent on the prolific breeding muntjac, in large dense wooded area's, 27 were shot in one march morning, beaters and guns walking in line, i haven't beat on that shoot for years now but i know they still do it, stalking you would be lucky to shoot that many a year, the drive really gets to terms with them, although twice as many escape , out of range or clean missed.......and they breed and replace their numbers by the following spring

The shoot do it as a final days shooting after the game season and before the rearing season, a sort of vermin drive but with only one quarry

Go for it, if the circumstances and opportunity are right, its the finest tasting venison and in the northern home counties in some parts they outnumber rabbits!

Hm.... I think I will let some one else respond to that

OUT NUMBER RABBITS! :rofl:

Dicehorn and Stonecold

You both live in the west country, i live a few miles from Woburn Abbey in North Bucks , the place where in the 60's the deer wall was breeched by a tree falling down, basically the epi-centre of the feral Muntjac population in the UK.

i drive to London on weekends when i am working and the 10 miles i drive to the M1 often has 6 or so road casualty Munties from the night before in the early hours, they are everywhere and in some parts are more numerous than rabbits, obviously i said that term tongue in cheek and not to be taken literally, but we have a far denser population than you will have out west! due to denser woodland that the muntjac very rarely leave!

Regards

SS

I find it hard to take into account you feel it neccessay to cast doubt on my shooting ability.

Cartridge EXPRESS SUPER GAME AAA 36g.

Firearm 12 Guage Single Barrell Baikel

P.S. On one particular shot, a man in this fourm was witness, 70m Grey Crow, clean kill.

I shall not be making any reply's as the attitude leaves alot to be desired.

Kindest Regards

Knifebar.