dog catching geese

Guest dotty

Guest dotty

hi,

does anyone know if there is any laws against a lurcher catching geese. day or night.

i say this because often at night lamping i see geese out in the feilds which would be fairly easy to catch.

thanks Dotty

well give it a try mate i will tell you now no chance as geese as not silly you will only ever see them out at night under the moon or on a splash in a field at night as they roost on loch's most of the time but as soon as your dog start's to run towards them they will all be up and of in a flash i seen a man last season trying to catch them with his hawk and still no chance

regards

Yes...........those geese would be up and away before the dog got anywhere near them. I know........i tried many times.

They always have a lookout on duty that starts the alarm call as soon as a predator comes near.

Rolfe.

Guest dotty

to tell the truth she had one last night. it was quite a light night and i approached it from downhill so as it was taking off it was getting as much hieght and the dog was running up hill.

it was on its own as well so there was no alarm call.

Edited by dotty
to tell the truth she had one last night. it was quite a light night and i approached it from downhill so as it was taking off it was getting as much hieght and the dog was running up hill.

it was on its own as well so there was no alarm call.

looks to me like it is a sick bird in 20 years as goose guide i have never know that could well be a bird that was shot in season and is haveing trouble to fly but you live and learn
Guest dotty

your most likely right. it wasn't very weiry or alert. however, it may have been the lamp that confused it, abit like lamping pigeons they just hover and then land again.

I am with my mate chessie on this matter i think it's been a pricked bird that's why it's been on it's own but with reading your 1st post i thought you was talking in big numbers as like i said the scout bird is always looking for danger good luck

regards