Working Terrier Breeds

I wouldn't cross them for crossings sake, but I wouldn't think twice about putting a good dog to another good dog, regardless of breed.

totally agree there stabs.

have known lads with good working bitches ask bulldog lads for the use of a stud to put a bit more bone in, when what they should have done is go to a well boned dog ,that worked as well as the bitch at the same job and was from an earthdog breed.i do slightly favour using the same breed if possible just on the basis of uniformity (i know its onlty looks) something about me does not want the litter to look like a bag of M & M's.

Spot on with that Bulldog. I'm with you on using Bull blood like that. I'm not averse to it, but there are often better options out there. To give an example, there's a lad with a nice stamp of bulldog and some other lads with good working dogs have approached him to use the dog for stud, for better strength of jaw, head size etc etc...you know the craic. But they'd be better served, as you say, going to the lad who has a similar sort, but carries the attributes they are after.

As for earth dogs, well there's so many different breeds contained within many of the established types already.