shooting wood pidgeon and hare

Although the principal of hand dispatching sounds simple, i'd get someone whose done it before to demonstrate for you on already dead quarry. Then practice yourself on something already dead. Hares can be pretty big and trying to wrist one if you don't know what your doing could cause a lot of grief to the animal :thumbdown: . If you don't know anyone who can show you take a priest (wooden cudgel) with you and whack it on the head. Incidently woodga shows how to do it on his snaring DVD.

was just thinking would anyone consider using a co2 pistol to dispatch quarry?

dan

I would'nt mate , they only push out a couple of ftlbs... not really enough to do a humane job.

I'am sure a vast majority will agree that hares should only be shot with a .17 upwards,

I've seen hares on both hare shoots/walk round days hopping around even when shot with some of the heaviest of 12g loads. not the tool for the job. I'am not having a pop,its just my opinion through personal experience.

cheers Millie

• 1 month later...
was just thinking would anyone consider using a co2 pistol to dispatch quarry?

dan

I would'nt mate , they only push out a couple of ftlbs... not really enough to do a humane job.

I'am sure a vast majority will agree that hares should only be shot with a .17 upwards,

I've seen hares on both hare shoots/walk round days hopping around even when shot with some of the heaviest of 12g loads. not the tool for the job. I'am not having a pop,its just my opinion through personal experience.

cheers Millie

Hi, do you mean by a 'heavy load' a larger shot size? I'm just asking because shotguns are very capable for fox control and that is a much larger animal than a hare. I think that too many people equate larger shot size with killing power, but in reality there are often gaps all over the pattern and vital organs may not be hit.

• 2 months later...
Don't shoot a hare. They provide more pleaure to watch than to shoot. They are not vermin but are classed as game. Leave them alone.

If thats your politics... fine. Don't tell me what i can and can't hunt. Welcome to the forum by the way :whistling:

Edited by Local

:blink: Jesus another one! What is is about shooting hares? I shoot a couple a year for the pot and leave them be the rest of the year. I don't see what the big bloody deal is :blink:

Incidentally i use one of these when i'm pigeon shooting... very handy

post-4425-1220021304.jpg