Smoking Rats

Wondering if anyone on here can help. I haven't done a lot of ratting, but I have done some. I have had success and failure. The main problem i'm having is bolting the rats. I have been using a strimmer engine to smoke them out. I have permission on a pig farm with a lot of rats on. The warrens are 100+ holes mainly soil. Do I need more engines. Does the 2/ petrol mix affect them bolting. Do you need to smoke every hole.Any information will be appreciated.

Hiya mate. Just because there are lots of holes doesn't necessarily mean there's plenty of rats. Some could be old, unused holes whereas others could be recent ones from young rats or rats that have moved into the area. Seen it many times when ferreting large warrens only to bolt three or four. Have you a dog(s) to mark for you? This will tell you which holes the rats are in or around, for they'll be moving below if they sense danger. It'll be hard work on your own mate. You'll need eyes in the back of your head. Get that smoker smoking! Sometimes it's better to dig them out if you get a definate mark, it's good to see the Terriers working them as you get nearer. ;)

Guest adrian

Hi smoker are ok but the method e use is get a sprayer fill with petrol and spray inside all the holes :whistle: you will be able to see fumes coming from others as it spreads through ,some rats start to bolt with the fumes, get the dogs back and light the holes :yahoo: you should get a few running then. and dont forget a fire ex just in case. we used this method on a pig farm and the farmer was so happy we ended up with 2 more farms to go ratting on