coursing greyhounds

Guest smashygadge

well i havent been hear for some time and has made interesting reading

when i first posted i was under the impression when the topic was opened it meant coursing in the field not what they do now in where the dogs are muzzled .

me personnaly i think that is more barbaric than running a hare to kill .just as the dogs are muzzeled they are still putting a hare threw more stress i beleive than running and if the dog dosnt kill it lives another day.and also some nice dogs been posted .and also as for stamina what distances they will run etc .my greyhound ive had her 8 months and is running with as much strengh and stamina as my lurcher well impressed :thumbs:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi eveyone, ive often wondered why coursing greyhounds are heavier than racing greys cheers :big_boss:

Because, sadly, most coursing Greyhounds come from Ireland where they tend to have Park Coursing rather than Open Coursing as we do here. The hares are raised in captivity, very well I might add, and well cared for. The Hares are given a 80/100 yard'ish slip and the course is usually a 15 to 20 second affair with the first dog up getting the flag. Pure speed is the thing with no merit given for "work" The result is that the Hounds are bred bigger and bigger on the basis that in a straight line a "good big 'un will always outpace a good little 'un" The average weight of an English Hound is around 60/65lbs. At this years Irish Derby at Clonmel I saw two or three Hounds that weighed in at 90lbs!!! It's a bit like Athletics, stand a 100 metre sprinter next to a 1500 metre stayer and who looks the more powerful?. Regards and keep Coursing. J.H.S.

The hares are raised in captivity

jane, just to correct you their slightly, the irish hare, thats used for coursing over here, is not raised in captivity, its cought, humanely, out in the wild and kept in pens, till needed for the coursing event, they are then released, to the exact spot they were captured on, alive.

Edited by Zak
The hares are raised in captivity

jane, just to correct you their slightly, the irish hare, thats used for coursing over here, is not raised in captivity, its cought, humanely, out in the wild and kept in pens, till needed for the coursing event, they are then released, to the exact spot they were captured on, alive.

Yeah, ok

• 3 months later...
hi does any one keep coursing greyhounds? or work there dogs apart from on the track?

any coursing greyhound web sites? or any one that just keeps/breeds them

hi there did u av any luck with the coursing greyhounds as im after on my self

hi does any one keep coursing greyhounds? or work there dogs apart from on the track?

any coursing greyhound web sites? or any one that just keeps/breeds them

hi did u get any were on the coursing greyhounds mate as im looking for a bitch to

• 1 month later...

I used to coarse with oxford coarseing club and also flaped my dogs at gloucster, aldershot, warwick and loudwater one bitch was in duchess of marlboro cup final two years running in my view as long as the dogs are fit and well a track dog makes a good field dog most bitches ive had have been retired track dogs the two i have now are both ex track and keen as mustard.

• 3 months later...
hi eveyone, ive often wondered why coursing greyhounds are heavier than racing greys cheers :big_boss:

track greyhounds have to be weighed in before and after a race, the lighter they are the faster they are, i believe one once is a stride but i may be wrong, coursing greyhounds use different muscles more often as live quarry doesn't move in a big rig always turning to the left. with a hare there are twists and turns in every direction! great to watch! the coursing greyhound normally has a different diet to the track too

hope this helps x

• 3 weeks later...

lads go to you tube type in eoin rua and see for yourselves what its all about .... i keep coursing dogs here in reland .... a handy sized dog would be 85 lbs a big dog would be 95 lbs and a very big dog would be 105 lbs plus ... they have more stamina ... and take alot more work than a tracker tougher dog ...heavier boned and blistering early pace there is an official web site www.icc.ie