coursing greyhounds

hi eveyone, ive often wondered why coursing greyhounds are heavier than racing greys cheers :big_boss:

They are heavier and bigger because they are bred purely for raw pace.I believe Irish park coursing is all done more or less in a straight line,the winner being the dog that leads up.

How things have changed,Master McGrath who won the waterloo cup three times in 1868,1869 and 1871 weighed only 53lb.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi does any one keep coursing greyhounds? or work there dogs apart from on the track?

any coursing greyhound web sites? or any one that just keeps/breeds them

Just look at the difference between a 100m sprinter and an 800m runner.

Correct. A lot of the greyhounds used in Irish open coursing are trackers and I hate it when I see a judge awarding a course to the dog that wins the run up in an open meet. English coursing dogs tend to be smaller than Irish coursing types. It's not unusual to see 100 lb dogs of Irish coursing lines.

Correct. A lot of the greyhounds used in Irish open coursing are trackers and I hate it when I see a judge awarding a course to the dog that wins the run up in an open meet. English coursing dogs tend to be smaller than Irish coursing types. It's not unusual to see 100 lb dogs of Irish coursing lines.

hi i did see a dog called big fella thanks at 110 lbs if i am not mistaken he won the irish coursing derby in 99

just taken on a so called failed racer but from what i can make out the trainer has lost interest and couldnt be arsed,she apparently loses concentration but is plenty quick enough.she is 2 yrs old and has been with us for 4 days ,i intend to try her in the field,took her out this morning and she baged a bunny straight off ,unintended i might add as i am not one for hunting out of season but so far so good and i can confirm she is deffinately quick enough,like shite of a shovel :icon_eek: also can anyone tell me an average height for a bitch mine is 26"tts she looks huge to me.

just taken on a so called failed racer but from what i can make out the trainer has lost interest and couldnt be arsed,she apparently loses concentration but is plenty quick enough.she is 2 yrs old and has been with us for 4 days ,i intend to try her in the field,took her out this morning and she baged a bunny straight off ,unintended i might add as i am not one for hunting out of season but so far so good and i can confirm she is deffinately quick enough,like shite of a shovel :icon_eek: also can anyone tell me an average height for a bitch mine is 26"tts she looks huge to me.

I would say 26" is about average for a bitch.As for confirming she's quick enough ;) for what? Catching rabbits :hmm: dogs with little or no greyhound in their make up can catch rabbits.Racing is a totally different game.

sorry should have been a bit clearer,she is deffinately quick enough for racing which is what makes me think that the trainer let her down,she has a good brain too ,already got her retrieving a dummy and coming back when called which she had no interest in doing when i got her.

Have you trialled her or raced her on a track?

More than likely she would be fast enough to race as all races are graded,starting with the fastest [open races] down to the slowest,eg-A1-A2-A3-all the way to A12 or more.

More than likely she would be fast enough to race as all races are graded,starting with the fastest [open races] down to the slowest,eg-A1-A2-A3-all the way to A12 or more.

Theres little point though if she's not chasing 100% better to just stick with training her to run in the field.

Theres little point though if she's not chasing 100% better to just stick with training her to run in the field.

my thoughts exactly,on further investigation it turns out she had a problem with concentration,turning out well in the field though.

post-18464-1211837398.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

to be honest in my experience there is no right and wrong build or shape to a greyhound for eather coursing or track racing id say the coursing dogs are more gangly shaped if you know how i mean iv also owned a few coursing whippets and i can only say the same they seem to be more gangly more limy as in longer shaped limbs in comparison to the body its hard to explain exactly what i mean but at the end of the day iv seen tiny bitches 24" do track records from box three in an all scr race if its in the dog it will do it regardless of its size but in my opinion there is no huge diffrence in the dogs its just down to that perticular animal breeding has alot to do with it some dogs will be extremely fast but never be any use due to doing toes or whatever all the time although i would actualy say the coursing greyhounds and whippets iv seen are a lighter ganglyer frame.

regards kris.

to be honest in my experience there is no right and wrong build or shape to a greyhound for eather coursing or track racing id say the coursing dogs are more gangly shaped if you know how i mean iv also owned a few coursing whippets and i can only say the same they seem to be more gangly more limy as in longer shaped limbs in comparison to the body its hard to explain exactly what i mean but at the end of the day iv seen tiny bitches 24" do track records from box three in an all scr race if its in the dog it will do it regardless of its size but in my opinion there is no huge diffrence in the dogs its just down to that perticular animal breeding has alot to do with it some dogs will be extremely fast but never be any use due to doing toes or whatever all the time although i would actualy say the coursing greyhounds and whippets iv seen are a lighter ganglyer frame.

regards kris.

bit like this you mean

post-18464-1212610379.jpg