Rimfire Poachers

I took a Roe buck on one of my shoots a couple of weeks ago.

Found an intact .17HMR in his hind leg just above the hock - where there is only about an inch or two of muscle. He had obviously been carrying it for a while because the entry wound had fully healed over.

Given that the round was intact, and so low, I can only assme that it was taken at some huge range, with not the slightest chance of an accurate hit, with a rifle that was illegal, and only ever going to wound the poor creature.

It seems, sadly, poaching is rapidly increasing.

Somehow we need to find a way to reduce it, rather than having to try to find the culprit after the event, which as has been noted above, isn't exactly easy.

Very best wishes in your search for the culprit - I know exaclty how you feel, and I hope you do manage to find them, and they get their just deserts.

Rgds

MM

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog on
I took a Roe buck on one of my shoots a couple of weeks ago.

Found an intact .17HMR in his hind leg just above the hock - where there is only about an inch or two of muscle. He had obviously been carrying it for a while because the entry wound had fully healed over.

Given that the round was intact, and so low, I can only assme that it was taken at some huge range, with not the slightest chance of an accurate hit, with a rifle that was illegal, and only ever going to wound the poor creature.

It seems, sadly, poaching is rapidly increasing.

Somehow we need to find a way to reduce it, rather than having to try to find the culprit after the event, which as has been noted above, isn't exactly easy.

Very best wishes in your search for the culprit - I know exaclty how you feel, and I hope you do manage to find them, and they get their just deserts.

Rgds

MM

hang them worse than raping a woman is poaching especialy when it affects you after all you own the world and you are the only one aloud to kill wild life

So you condone the suffering of Deer and other animanls then do you dog on?

Poaching which is a serious problem. The fact that people are shooting at an animal as large as deer with a rimfire is hideous.

I would never condone such action and neither should anyone else.

Guest dog on
So you condone the suffering of Deer and other animanls then do you dog on?

Poaching which is a serious problem. The fact that people are shooting at an animal as large as deer with a rimfire is hideous.

I would never condone such action and neither should anyone else.

no i dont condone what they done but why dont people just put \\these people that done this horrible act // in stead of taring so called poachers with the same brush a subject i have brought up befor there are twats and there are some that know what they are doing and do it like you try and do when you go out with your guns .with out to mutch suffering .i dont concider my self a poacher it is a name that is given to this type of activity i simply make a living from the land /but get treated in the same way as antis and so called poaching has been going longer than any field sports it has been a way to survive not a pastime for some people how would it sound if all so called poachers got to gether and tryed to put a end to shooting .what he sugested was to stop me making a living .leagle or not and as for the police all they have done is cover their backs by visiting you so you cant say nothing is being done.and by the way wasnt it a fellow shooter that done this in the first place .so why was it not blamed on a shooter .no because it would look bad on the shooting people . Edited by dog on

A poacher with a gun is the same as a poacher with a dog, I would have no reservations about shouting down a shooting poacher more than a hunting poacher.

The deer on this particular estate are both shot and run, we find the majority of them have been shot and wounded, occasionally we come across a wounded deer that has been run, in any case the deer are hacked into pieces, the poachers leave what they do not want lying on the ground.

I fear the romantic image of a village gentleman poacher is gone, there are not many left, these poachers are criminals, they do not have respect for the quarry nor for the land they choose to trespass on.

A few years back I was lamping this very estate with the same ranger friend, we spotted a pair of poachers just getting over a gate and into their car, we were blocking them and so they rammed the Disco, (they were in an old toyota Hi-Lux), and got away, Neither of us were injured as it happens, so I have no respect for these people,

If it wasnt for the fact that wounded and hacked deer were being found then who would know, the old poacher would leave no trace of activity, these show no regard for anything or anyone.

Guest dog on
A poacher with a gun is the same as a poacher with a dog, I would have no reservations about shouting down a shooting poacher more than a hunting poacher.

The deer on this particular estate are both shot and run, we find the majority of them have been shot and wounded, occasionally we come across a wounded deer that has been run, in any case the deer are hacked into pieces, the poachers leave what they do not want lying on the ground.

I fear the romantic image of a village gentleman poacher is gone, there are not many left, these poachers are criminals, they do not have respect for the quarry nor for the land they choose to trespass on.

A few years back I was lamping this very estate with the same ranger friend, we spotted a pair of poachers just getting over a gate and into their car, we were blocking them and so they rammed the Disco, (they were in an old toyota Hi-Lux), and got away, Neither of us were injured as it happens, so I have no respect for these people,

If it wasnt for the fact that wounded and hacked deer were being found then who would know, the old poacher would leave no trace of activity, these show no regard for anything or anyone.

i under stand what you are saying but the reason the animals are suffering is all down to money some people can take their time to shoot their game with the proper gun because they either claim ownership of the ground .or are invited or employed by these so called owners .while others cant aford to pay .we are only here once if it was not down to money then the people claiming rights would not have a look in .i dont want to get into a debait with you it is just some thing i feel verry strongly about ,owenership of vast amounts of land and the way it is afecting the wild life some good and some not so good .it is a problem that can never be solved Edited by dog on

i under stand what you are saying but the reason the animals are suffering is all down to money some people can take their time to shoot their game with the proper gun because they either claim ownership of the ground .or are invited or employed by these so called owners .while others cant aford to pay .we are only here once if it was not down to money then the people claiming rights would not have a look in .i dont want to get into a debait with you it is just some thing i feel verry strongly about ,owenership of vast amounts of land and the way it is afecting the wild life some good and some not so good .it is a problem that can never be solved

?

I have no idea of the argument you are trying to make. Looks to be that you are saying landowners are all wrong? They're not, they own the land perfectly legally, and may do as they please on that land. It's annoying because they're rich buggers by and large, but it's fair - if you have the money, you can buy the land.

As for shooting rimfire into a deer... Not a 17HMR, no, it fragments too quick. A well placed 22LR at a sensible distance (<50 yards) will stop a roe quite merrily, I am reliably informed.

Guest dog on

i under stand what you are saying but the reason the animals are suffering is all down to money some people can take their time to shoot their game with the proper gun because they either claim ownership of the ground .or are invited or employed by these so called owners .while others cant aford to pay .we are only here once if it was not down to money then the people claiming rights would not have a look in .i dont want to get into a debait with you it is just some thing i feel verry strongly about ,owenership of vast amounts of land and the way it is afecting the wild life some good and some not so good .it is a problem that can never be solved

?

I have no idea of the argument you are trying to make. Looks to be that you are saying landowners are all wrong? They're not, they own the land perfectly legally, and may do as they please on that land. It's annoying because they're rich buggers by and large, but it's fair - if you have the money, you can buy the land.

As for shooting rimfire into a deer... Not a 17HMR, no, it fragments too quick. A well placed 22LR at a sensible distance (<50 yards) will stop a roe quite merrily, I am reliably informed.

but they dont own the wild life thats why it is called wild life Edited by dog on

but they dont own the wild life thats why it is called wild life

You are right - they don't own the wild life - but they have the RIGHT to the wild life - you don't have that right without permission.

Having read your thoughts on this thread, I find your take on this somewhat disturbing. Not many years ago the word Marxist would have come to mind..... We have always had a privileged society ever since the fist cave man picked up the first club.

Edited by dicehorn
Guest dog on

why do i need some other human telling me what i can and cant do i will do what i want with or with out their consent and the only word that comes to my mind is slavery and that is one thing i am not a slave by choice and i consider my self privileged so whats the diference

Edited by dog on
why do i need some other human telling me what i can and cant do i will do what i want with or with out their consent and the only word that comes to my mind is slavery and that is one thing i am not a slave by choice and i consider my self privileged so whats the diference

You need to re-evaluate your life mate. That attitude is very counter-productive for you personally, and also shows the shooting community in a bad light. You live in a country with laws, we must obey them even when they are complete crap.

However, the right of ownership of property, and the right to say what happens on that land, is perfectly fair and reasonable. Just because you don't have land or property, that attitude is completely wrong. if you're out poaching, and it sounds as if you are, I hope you are caught and dealt with by the authorities, or failing that, a very angry game keeper.

Guest dog on

You need to re-evaluate your life mate. That attitude is very counter-productive for you personally, and also shows the shooting community in a bad light. You live in a country with laws, we must obey them even when they are complete crap.

However, the right of ownership of property, and the right to say what happens on that land, is perfectly fair and reasonable. Just because you don't have land or property, that attitude is completely wrong. if you're out poaching, and it sounds as if you are, I hope you are caught and dealt with by the authorities, or failing that, a very angry game keeper.

authorities and angry game keepers can also be dealt with they are only human after all .and if you want to live by crap laws thats your choice like i said its my choice to do as i do .and i do have land to go on it is where ever i am at that time .like i said im no slave
Over the last fortnight on the shoot, we have had a number of distubances on one of our farms, these have included people shooting illegally at night and then trying to break, enter and steal farm equipment from the yard.

It has confused me no end as the police will not give us clear details.

I had a visit from two officers three days ago, as did my headkeeper as we are the two people who shoot there the most.

The police asked me what shooting i performed on the ground and when, which was reasonable as well as if i had a .22 'Rifle' no mention of whether air or rimfire, or centrefire for that matter. They should have known that from my FAC staright away, so why ask, this is the first point i dont understand. The second is how they know it is a .22 rifle. I leave fired rimfire cases there now and again but they are for a .17HMR. They have taken five days to come and see us and the landowner, this seems strange where guns are involved, they ought to be there instantly when it was reported last monday.

They also have reports of people shooting out of a car window on common land near the shoot, which they asked if i knew anything about, i said i have found several empty Beretta CX4 Storm Co2 cartridges which i have kept incase they asked, they were not interested in the slightest, didnt even want to see them. Nor did they want to see my certificates.

This entire situation has got me and my keeper completely confused. The facts dont add up.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Regards

ss06

at least they turned up for a change, waste of space!

authorities and angry game keepers can also be dealt with they are only human after all .and if you want to live by crap laws thats your choice like i said its my choice to do as i do .and i do have land to go on it is where ever i am at that time .like i said im no slave

fair play, as long as u aint robbin em then whats the problem! its the thrill of the chase, makes it worth while! after all people have got the right to roam :whistling:

Right then everyone, lets clear a few things up.

Right to Roam does not extend to every piece of land in this country,

Unauthorised access on land is trespass, with a gun-armed trespass, with a dog-aggrivated trespass.

Dog_on , we are all slaves, you pay taxes, you are a slave.

It makes no difference whether a law is crap or not, it must be obeyed it does nothing in favour of anyone if they are ignored, some will always disagree with a law, if everyone who disagreed with a law broke it then you would end up with oppression of everyone.

It seems you are throwing your toys out of the pram because some have the outright right to land and you dont.

I dont have the right to any land of my own, but I have permission which is all I ask for, it hinders me in no way whatsoever, you seem to show no respect, you could have a free run on land if you asked, only once you have to ask.

I find your stance on this matter offensive, if you were in possession of land or money, I wonder if your stance would change, It sounds as if you would protect what you had with all the force at your fingertips. It's capitalism at it worst and best.

Player 1, the problem is, poaching is stealing and yes they turned up but asked me three useless questions and left.