Rimfire Poachers

Over the last fortnight on the shoot, we have had a number of distubances on one of our farms, these have included people shooting illegally at night and then trying to break, enter and steal farm equipment from the yard.

It has confused me no end as the police will not give us clear details.

I had a visit from two officers three days ago, as did my headkeeper as we are the two people who shoot there the most.

The police asked me what shooting i performed on the ground and when, which was reasonable as well as if i had a .22 'Rifle' no mention of whether air or rimfire, or centrefire for that matter. They should have known that from my FAC staright away, so why ask, this is the first point i dont understand. The second is how they know it is a .22 rifle. I leave fired rimfire cases there now and again but they are for a .17HMR. They have taken five days to come and see us and the landowner, this seems strange where guns are involved, they ought to be there instantly when it was reported last monday.

They also have reports of people shooting out of a car window on common land near the shoot, which they asked if i knew anything about, i said i have found several empty Beretta CX4 Storm Co2 cartridges which i have kept incase they asked, they were not interested in the slightest, didnt even want to see them. Nor did they want to see my certificates.

This entire situation has got me and my keeper completely confused. The facts dont add up.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Regards

ss06

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes mate they suspect you , thats why all the questions.

because they know there very unlikly to catch the culprit red handed, they are asking the people who already have acsses, and who they know has guns

Over the last fortnight on the shoot, we have had a number of distubances on one of our farms, these have included people shooting illegally at night and then trying to break, enter and steal farm equipment from the yard.

It has confused me no end as the police will not give us clear details.

I had a visit from two officers three days ago, as did my headkeeper as we are the two people who shoot there the most.

The police asked me what shooting i performed on the ground and when, which was reasonable as well as if i had a .22 'Rifle' no mention of whether air or rimfire, or centrefire for that matter. They should have known that from my FAC staright away, so why ask, this is the first point i dont understand. The second is how they know it is a .22 rifle. I leave fired rimfire cases there now and again but they are for a .17HMR. They have taken five days to come and see us and the landowner, this seems strange where guns are involved, they ought to be there instantly when it was reported last monday.

They also have reports of people shooting out of a car window on common land near the shoot, which they asked if i knew anything about, i said i have found several empty Beretta CX4 Storm Co2 cartridges which i have kept incase they asked, they were not interested in the slightest, didnt even want to see them. Nor did they want to see my certificates.

This entire situation has got me and my keeper completely confused. The facts dont add up.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Regards

ss06

This is the Police all over, as has already been said, they really don't know what they are doing. It always seems they will take only the easy option everytime. They just make things harder for us good guys!. Was down visiting a friend who lives in Cleveland. They have a bit of trouble with poachers, which is getting worse. He told me the Police have been told not to approach poachers as they might be armed! Well who gave them the licence in the first place? If they won't go near them, how are we supposed to stop them? No wonder you and your keeper are confused! Hope you are able to get this sorted out ok.

Fastrac 10

Edited by fastrac10

I think if my keeper caught them then the police wouldnt even be involved :whistling:

He's not the sort of man to involve the law when things get out of hand, he is perfectly capable and willing to sort it himself, i think of him as a victorian keeper born in the wrong age, but he'll do anything to keep the shoot going.

Not the best image for shooting, but he is winding down now so i dont think he is all that concerned.

Regards

ss06

p.s everything said above is absolutely true of the police, take the easy way out.

Supprised people are not taking the piss that you are being poached. Many bods on here think its alright to take game as they please and even post about it, some thing I have reported by PM and nothing was done not even a reply.

I have had the occasional problem with poachers, I think its best to deal with the problems yourself and report it if it goes wrong.

The police force are over worked and can be clueless about certain things.

well hear gos :icon_redface: there not all bad.. last year we had some roe and red shot with a .22.. we found 4 hidden / dumped and shot another a few days later that was lame, again with .22 wounds :censored::censored: we reported it to the police, with in 12 hours it was on our local news and page 2 of our locall rag :icon_eek::icon_eek: ..... the best bit is that the tossers that did it went bragging in his local (where 7 people took it upon them selves to grass them up) it was later found that the .22 was taken from his father without permission or certificate... :thumbdown::thumbdown: ... they got a years probation a 900 note fine :clapper:

On a large estate local to me, there is a large number of deer and they have been poached by people using long dogs and .22 r/f. They are often found by a ranger, who I know well, with bits hacked off them, the bits the poachers want and just left. I went shooting with him on friday,we were after crows and pigeons, and we came across a fallow doe which was wounded by a .22, in a terrible state, it kept moving away each time we tried toget closer so my friend duly put it out its misery with a clean shot.

These people defy belief, I am glad I do not have deer on my ground or it could get worse. If only the local rag reported these then it may just decrease, though unlikely.

Did the father of those people get prosecuted for not securing his guns?

Regards

SS

P.S, Sam I',in the West Glam area and the HW77 is a fine gun, I use it mainly for maggies in the garden.