nisan navara pick up

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the d22(02-05) navara is definitely one to avoid.have a look at this http://www.4x4web.co.uk/forum/messages/18799.html I have a 52 plate and at 78000 miles it suffered the conrod failure like hundreds and hundreds of others due to an engine design fault. It was serviced religiously and not badly treated, the engine is the yd25tdi and is notorious for this and when the rod pops through the side to say hello it means its a new engine and you will be looking at £3000 fitted for a recon, if you can find one. Its a renault engine apparently and very badly designed as oil pressure and oil flow is poor leading to no 3 rod failing in a spectacular way. If you have a d22 and its done over 40000 miles it would be advisable to get rid of it. I wish I new about the problem before I got mine.

Josh

ive got one for sale in the buy sell swaps mate but its only a 51 plate

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the d22(02-05) navara is definitely one to avoid.have a look at this http://www.4x4web.co.uk/forum/messages/18799.html I have a 52 plate and at 78000 miles it suffered the conrod failure like hundreds and hundreds of others due to an engine design fault. It was serviced religiously and not badly treated, the engine is the yd25tdi and is notorious for this and when the rod pops through the side to say hello it means its a new engine and you will be looking at £3000 fitted for a recon, if you can find one. Its a renault engine apparently and very badly designed as oil pressure and oil flow is poor leading to no 3 rod failing in a spectacular way. If you have a d22 and its done over 40000 miles it would be advisable to get rid of it. I wish I new about the problem before I got mine.

Josh

Hello Josh

I keep hearing this stuff bantered about but it seems to me they're no more liable to go Pop than alot of other Motors!! Mine on a 02 plate has now clocked round to the 100,000, doesn't take a drop of Oil, still sounds sweet and has got booted about pretty severe the last few weeks with no problems, I love the Motor and can't fault it, it seems there's always alot of scare stories that get out of hand on some of these forums.....

Jasper

Hello Josh

I keep hearing this stuff bantered about but it seems to me they're no more liable to go Pop than alot of other Motors!! Mine on a 02 plate has now clocked round to the 100,000, doesn't take a drop of Oil, still sounds sweet and has got booted about pretty severe the last few weeks with no problems, I love the Motor and can't fault it, it seems there's always alot of scare stories that get out of hand on some of these forums.....

Jasper

Hi Jasper, I posted this info because it could be a help to other navara owners. I loved mine until the engine threw the conrod through the side, I will drop a new lump in it but it won't be the yd25 model that was originally in it, as I wish to keep hold of it. You only need to look at the amount of people in the same boat with the exact same problem which proves that the fault does exist. There is a website devoted to this and we are all getting together to stick it up nissan as these engines shouldn't be going pop like they are. As I said earlier this wasn't posted to shit stir or slag the navara off, just to make other owners aware that the fault exists and these engines are self destructing at an alarming rate. Hope this info helps someone out and saves them £3k of repair bill to keep theirs on the road.

Josh

ive got one for sale in the buy sell swaps mate but its only a 51 plate

ive also got a navara 2001 for sale owned it four years not a problem exellent truck someones in for a bargain

Edited by jasper65
Hi Jasper, I posted this info because it could be a help to other navara owners. I loved mine until the engine threw the conrod through the side, I will drop a new lump in it but it won't be the yd25 model that was originally in it, as I wish to keep hold of it. You only need to look at the amount of people in the same boat with the exact same problem which proves that the fault does exist. There is a website devoted to this and we are all getting together to stick it up nissan as these engines shouldn't be going pop like they are. As I said earlier this wasn't posted to shit stir or slag the navara off, just to make other owners aware that the fault exists and these engines are self destructing at an alarming rate. Hope this info helps someone out and saves them £3k of repair bill to keep theirs on the road.

Josh

Any Info like this is a Bonus Josh! But if you look in the archives this one has done the rounds already about the engine problems, thankfully so far there is a good few lads on here with them without any catastrophe's includeing myself. admitidly it bothered me when I first heard it but I'm willing to take the risk if there is one...

I used tp go on another forum when I had a Mitsi Pajero and all this sort of stuff was kicking of on there too about the Belts snapping on the 2.5 Models, I now just get on with it and hope mine's not of the list...

Jasper

Josh

i had that same problem , on my way down the M6 and BANG !!!! conrod blew a hole size of a fist in the engine , and guess what cos id been using my local mechanic to sevice the motor , i got knocked back on the warranty cos he never used original nissan parts for filter changes

but up til then it was a great car ...then i bought a brand spaking new D40 outlaw with premium pack and loved it had it 2 years and just recently sold it as im after something newer

all in all both good motors

is there no warning that the conrod going to go ? i mean does the engine start making a niose couple days before or anything ?or does it just go

From my experience it just started making a loud knocking noise(first conrod bolt going) like it had dropped an injector and then went THUMP (rod coming through side). From my research a tell tale sign is unusual knocking when first started up in the mornings when the engine is cold. If you look on www.nissan-navara.net it has loads of info on there.

Josh

mine just went BANG on the M6 lol

wasnt funny at the time tho

Yeah about as funny as realising you have just lost £3k :icon_eek: did you have the shitty renault engine replaced? I am on the lookout for a ZD30 3litre lump out of the import navara/patrol, will fit straight in apart from the ecu being different.Hopefully before long I will be slaughtering bunnies and mr fox from the comfort of my leather seat as opposed to walking 6 miles a night :thumbdown:

is there no warning that the conrod going to go ? i mean does the engine start making a niose couple days before or anything ?or does it just go

From my experience it just started making a loud knocking noise(first conrod bolt going) like it had dropped an injector and then went THUMP (rod coming through side). From my research a tell tale sign is unusual knocking when first started up in the mornings when the engine is cold. If you look on www.nissan-navara.net it has loads of info on there.

Josh

my navara makes a terrible rattling noise when first started from cold but has done for the last year. the boss phoned nissan and they said it could be the timing chain as they needed to recall loads of them for a replacement chain. it is an 04 plate with 92k , i just hope it goes bang so i can say to the boss (TOLD YOU SO) about getting rid:D

You probaly won't beleive this weejohn but I had the same thing only from cold and thought the worse! I contacted a service department where the car was previousely serviced and they said a new timing chain had been fitted and tensioners! so it ruled that one out....

The next advice I was offered which turned out to be bang on was to tighten the Alternator belt and others! so I did and the noise went :thumbs:. aparantly if these belts are slightly loose they cause some slap in the fly wheel making this noise, this slap disapeers when the oil pressure is up and only comes in on a cold engine...

Beleive me mate it sounds far fetched but my Motor made a hell of a clatter from cold but tightening these belts up cured it completley, give it a try mate!! they have to be pretty tight....

Jasper

this slap disapeers when the oil pressure is up and only comes in on a cold engine...

Beleive me mate it sounds far fetched but my Motor made a hell of a clatter from cold but tightening these belts up cured it completley, give it a try mate!! they have to be pretty tight....

Jasper

One of the reasons these engines fail is due to poor oil pressure(oil pump is shite), certain components run dry for a minute or so on startup which eventually leads to no 3 conrod shitting itself in a big way, there is a bloke called chris vince on nissan-navara.net who has dissected blown and perfectly functioning yd25tdi motors and has given some serious time and effort finding out why these things go pop. There are mods you can do that he suggests that will either cure the problem or greatly increase the life of the engine, look him up on the site mentioned above I wish I had known about these before mine emptied itself all over the dual carriageway :censored: for the sake of a couple of hundred quid it could potentially save you £3000.

Josh