clothing recommendation for forestry stalking.

Guest david1976

Guest david1976

I have just got myself some stalking in a forestry plantation and need to get some new waterproof/showerproof clothing (jacket and trousers). Can anyone recommend any?

Previously i had kammo stuff however it was really crap quality and the man from the company very rude so i dont want to deal with him any more.

I use Deerhunter trousers and think they're the dog's boll#cks for stalking. Haven't used the jackets, at the moment I use a Snugpak jacket but Deerhunter should have something that fits your needs whether cammo or green.

I use Deerhunter aswell, very comfortable and keeps you snug and dry all day.

But I also use British Army trousers and coats, they are tough, and cheap. You can also get goretex stuff.

Also, the Army cammo DPM is great in those dark man-made forrests!

Bryan,

I really rate the Snugpak Jacket I have, wore it all winter out stalking Reds in the sh#ttiest west of Ireland weather. Have a Buffalo jacket too, both great pieces of kit, very similar but if pushed i'd have to say the Snug is more comfortable/less inclined to overheat but the Buffalo has a tougher, more tear-proof outer shell.

Previously i had kammo stuff however it was really crap quality and the man from the company very rude so i dont want to deal with him any more.

is that the genuine Kammo gear not just cammo clothing your on about. im using a kammo super kodiak jacket and have had it about 2 years now and its spot on. never had any dealings with the company other than the order but the quality of there gear so far is next to none.

Guest david1976

is that the genuine Kammo gear not just cammo clothing your on about. im using a kammo super kodiak jacket and have had it about 2 years now and its spot on. never had any dealings with the company other than the order but the quality of there gear so far is next to none.

It was the genuine Kammo stuff. I bought it at the game fair at scone palace one year jacket and trousers and when i started to wear it stalking i discovered it was not waterproof at all. I dont mean lying in a burn just in general not waterproof.

The kammo man refused to accept this and refused to swap the clothes for another set so i ended up having to go back to scone palace the following year and create a scene in his tent to get a new pair.

He was very very rude and i would never do business with this company again.

duno whats wrong then. luckily i've had no problems. i found it totally waterproof, windproof and snow proof even in the worst of weather. i dont know if they changed there waterproofing or whatever since you had yours but this is mine.

http://www.kammo.co.uk/jackets/DPMKodiak.p...f2b553160e9c6e9

its getting abit worn now and got a few snags in it but the fabric is really tough and still waterproof.

Guest david1976
I use Deerhunter trousers and think they're the dog's boll#cks for stalking. Haven't used the jackets, at the moment I use a Snugpak jacket but Deerhunter should have something that fits your needs whether cammo or green.

which deerhunter trousers do you have?

With the snugpak is it noisy if you are crawling or does it tear easily? I quite like the look of the smock with the big front pocket.

Don't find the Snug noisy but I wouldn't use it for very tight cover as the shell is a bit light probably. The trousers are the Smallville in green with the extra Hitena on the front. They are very tough with extra Hitena and great for crawling along the bogs but not as silent as I had been hoping. Will be getting another pair without the Hitena front for quieter stalking in woodland.

:whistling: John Norris have the Musto stalker coat in advantage cammo on offer at the moment £120 I've had one for 2years now Its a great coat. I don't do stalking but duck & rough shooting been out in all weathers & I'm always dry :toast: Iv..........

I would avoid mod gore tex clothing for stalking as it is very noisy - unless you know someone in the forces who can get you the new cotton stuff which is pretty much noiseless.

It is worth investing in goretex gear though as it really does keep you dry. Harkila, Swedteam Seeland all make good stuff which may seem intially expensive but will perform and will last for years.

Probably best to buy a light camo jacket (Paclite etc.) so you can wear it any time of year and just layer up underneath in the colder months.

Check out places like John Norris, Bushwear etc. for good sale bargains too!

Edited by gdunc
  • 2 weeks later...

If you are looking at Seeland and Deerhunter, just used this lot www.gundogkit.co.uk

Best price on the seeland thornhill jacket and trousers.

Also they look very good price on Meindl and deerhunter jackets / trousers