Can i shoot birds in my garden?

Just as a footnote to the previous post it's worth nothing this addition to the general license.

"Persons relying on this licence must be satisfied that non-lethal methods of resolving the problem are ineffective or impracticable."

That is open to interpretation but I would expect someone to be dragged into court over it in the future. If the neighbouring houses disagree with what you're doing you may be expected to demonstrate that shooting was the last resort. So keep notes about what else you did to deter the birds from your property. (i.e scarecrow, sending the kids outside to play, netting suspended above the bushes, removal of roosting sites, etc)

I shoot woodies in our back garden, and I'm surrounded by bird lovers on both sides. They are particularly adamant that now it is the nesting season, the birds must be left alone.

However, we do have fruit bushes in the garden, so if anyone asks, I'm shooting them to prevent them damaging our crop of fruit. The fact that they then find their way into a frying pan is not a matter for the law!

Do you have anything in youir garden that might similarly need protecting against them damaging?

On another note, to minimise the chance of them seeing, and geting upset, I usually shoot at times when it is less likely that the nieghbours will be looking out of their back bedroom windows into our garden (i.e. early morning or evenings when they're cooped up around the telly...). Sometimes avoidance is better than defence!

My main objective is to avoid a visit from the police. I have on occasions even spoken to the local firearms licensing team to tell them of my intentions, and demonstrate to them that I was keeping within the law (even though I was only using an air rifle) so that if the local Plod, who probably knows zero about the Annual licences turns up, I could say to him 'Yes, but your Firearms Licensing Team confirmed on the xth of june 2000andy that this is perfectly legal...'.

Good luck

MM

Pigeons are notorious for destroying CABBAGES, common fact, so if you find your cabbages dug up or eaten this is pigeon and I would say that it can be culled as they are hazzardous to you home farming enterprise.

Carbon footprint etc etc. See what I mean

Food for thought!!!!

Knifebar :clapper:

I shoot woodies in our back garden, and I'm surrounded by bird lovers on both sides. They are particularly adamant that now it is the nesting season, the birds must be left alone.

However, we do have fruit bushes in the garden, so if anyone asks, I'm shooting them to prevent them damaging our crop of fruit. The fact that they then find their way into a frying pan is not a matter for the law!

Do you have anything in youir garden that might similarly need protecting against them damaging?

On another note, to minimise the chance of them seeing, and geting upset, I usually shoot at times when it is less likely that the nieghbours will be looking out of their back bedroom windows into our garden (i.e. early morning or evenings when they're cooped up around the telly...). Sometimes avoidance is better than defence!

My main objective is to avoid a visit from the police. I have on occasions even spoken to the local firearms licensing team to tell them of my intentions, and demonstrate to them that I was keeping within the law (even though I was only using an air rifle) so that if the local Plod, who probably knows zero about the Annual licences turns up, I could say to him 'Yes, but your Firearms Licensing Team confirmed on the xth of june 2000andy that this is perfectly legal...'.

Good luck

MM

Pigeons are notorious for destroying CABBAGES, common fact, so if you find your cabbages dug up or eaten this is pigeon and I would say that it can be culled as they are hazzardous to you home farming enterprise.

Food for thought!!!!

Got any spare Magpies (ALIVE) I know someone whos after one!?!?

Good luck

MM

Food for thought!!!!

Got any spare Magpies (ALIVE) I know someone whos after one!?!?

Yes I do but I would have to put them in the post!

Knifebar

Guest bigredbusa
id put some plants out and seeds down pigeons come in you shoot the fat fecks and then if anyone questions it say they were pinching your seed

yep i agree , plant some some peas in the garden . you now have a reason to shoot em