Just out if interest, the members who use a cobra with their rifle, what scope setup have you got thats used with the nightvision monocular....? I'm using a 6x42 tasco with 90mw laser, which isn't the best, but it was only used for daytime and lamping, does the job hassle free, but for nightvision no good at all... Planning to get a mtc viper to improve the light gathering....

Guest Magwitch

i don't think you will have much luck with the Tasco Ian when i first got mine i had a hawke varmint 2 and it was rubbish, you really need a 30mm tubed side focus scope without the illuminated reticle.

Guest Magwitch

this might help setting the unit up

1st. Set the eyepiece on the monocular to suit your eye, dark room, ir turned on, look at the ground and adjust eye focus until you see little black dots on the screen then tape it up.

2nd. Fit mono to scope, then try to focus on the reticle, you may find that winding the scopes ocular (lens) fully out then coming back in will help get a good image.

The laser needs to be on it,s widest setting, unless you intend shooting long distance and then if the beam is narrowed be very careful about focusing on closer objects, the laser is a bit to bright for close in work really, be careful, I have my on a thumb switch so it is on for the minimum time.

The magnification you use is entirey up to you, fit one of those coasters to the mag ring, to give easy operation and an indication of what mag you are on.

I scan on 4 mag and shoot on 4 or 6 depending on range(air rifle), the knob on the coaster is straight up when on 6 mag.

Is that itbiggrin.gif

If you still have trouble come back and someone who knows what they,re talking about might help.

got in from the gun club tonight & saw this post... so i thought, im going to get out with the merlin tonight.

got down the farm, as i pulled in the drive there were bunnies out, pulled up, loaded the mag, gun out the window ready to see whats about, turned the unit on, huh ?..................

NO f*****g BATTERIES ! left them at home....

still managed to get one though with the lights off the motor..

lesson learnt, keep a spare set in the glove box.

Guest Magwitch
got in from the gun club tonight & saw this post... so i thought, im going to get out with the merlin tonight.

got down the farm, as i pulled in the drive there were bunnies out, pulled up, loaded the mag, gun out the window ready to see whats about, turned the unit on, huh ?..................

NO f*****g BATTERIES ! left them at home....

still managed to get one though with the lights off the motor..

lesson learnt, keep a spare set in the glove box.

shit happens.... was hoping to get a night out this week if the rain holds off

Hi Ian

I've used a swat 4-16 on my rf. Also stuck it on a 10x menace. Using a rapid with a 4-12 trophy. Not as good as the first two but still useable. I looked through one stuck on a swat 3-12x44 which was also good. There was a list at some point on the bbs for compatible scopes.

I'm sure the viper wil be good too.

Found it .List is on pg3, reply no. 45 of the link.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread...MPATIBLE+SCOPES

Neil

Edited by stillair1

Stillair I've fitted it and have yet to use it in the field hunting, I'll probably put it to the test in a fortnight when I have time.....but just viewing through it, compared to the old scope, its a world apart... :yes:

The right scope makes quite a difference as you have seen Ian. Best of luck. The only down side to an add with a laser is you have to hold it upward when lite rather than have the barrel pointing at the ground. Tis ok until it rains. :thumbdown:

Neil

• 3 months later...

Hey

Thinking of getting a merlin seems like good value for money and need something to get those lamp shy bunnies eating my barley. I run a schmit and benders 8x56 would the merlin be good on it or is it going to require another scope?

Cheers

Smudge