Sheep netting trap

the theory is sound but why use three wraps of sheep netting (only adding weight) when one would have done since your covering the shape with chicken mesh ?you could have made three and had one complete trap lighter in weight

and two partly made ready to mesh up, a lot of work for nothing but if you have the time go for it :clapper: one thing is certain they do work :whistling::thumbs:

Hail fellow hunters...in fact Hail, sleet, wind snow and rain, all in one bloody day!

I used three wraps of sheep netting for rigidity. One wrap and it would fall/blow over. I know that staking it down would help, but I thought solid walls would be better! :icon_redface:

Anyway, will find out tomorrow if it works...

Have baited with chicken pellets...pheasant anyone?

:angel:

Edited by Holdaway

the theory is sound but why use three wraps of sheep netting (only adding weight) when one would have done since your covering the shape with chicken mesh ?you could have made three and had one complete trap lighter in weight

and two partly made ready to mesh up, a lot of work for nothing but if you have the time go for it :clapper: one thing is certain they do work :whistling::thumbs:

I used three wraps of sheep netting for rigidity. One wrap and it would fall/blow over. I know that staking it down would help, but I thought solid walls would be better! :icon_redface:

Anyway, will find out tomorrow if it works...

Have baited with chicken pellets...pheasant anyone?

:angel:

looks good to me bud let us know how you get on mite make one my self

IT works! er. kind of...

I went round to check my little pet project this morning and from about 40 yards away I could see rooks everywhere. I thought YES! I have caught one of the little buggers! But no...There was foxy as large as life staring straight at me with a mouth full of feathers...

I had made the tunnel too low and a collard dove had got trapped in the tunnel but not the cage... free brekkie for foxy!

He/she ran off about 10 yards and staopped to watch me, as I put my hand in my pocket for the phone (for a piccy) it ran off. I have altered the tunnel now. It is shorter and slightly higher. Trial and error and all that!

Only things I got today were 3 grey squirrels. Not really the place for a posting but here is a pic anyway.

H

:gunsmilie:

First one I shot

post-16512-1206288751.jpg

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Holders: Go back three pages on this board and look at my TUNNEL TRAP Thread. In there it gives ye the exact size to make those tunnels. Takes the tiral and error out of it. I've replaced all the missing pictures on that set of Posts now too :good:

Is that that one for Jackdaws, rooks etc? The opening is really 2 feet across? That would be most of the size of my entire trap!!

5 inches high for the business end seems resonable though, mine is probably about that now. I shortened my tunnel length too. It was about 18 inches to start with...

H

:gunsmilie:

Edited by Holdaway

Bollox! After all that I find this!

Circular-funnel magpie trap: a) assembled trap; B) wire mesh cut for funnel; c) shaped funnel.

Materials Needed:

1 1/4-inch reinforcing rod 12 2/3 feet long 1

1 2 foot 6 inches x 12 foot 8 inches piece of 1-inch welded-wire mesh

2 2 foot 6 inches x 4 foot wire mesh (cut to fit top) 1

1 2 foot 6 inches x 3 foot 6 inches wire mesh (cut and tapered for funnel)

3 stakes about 10 inches long with ‘U-shaped’ heads

Assembly Instructions:

Bend the 1/4-inch rod in a circle and weld. Attach the 12-foot 8-inch wire mesh piece to the rod with haywire and crimp the ends of the wire mesh around the rod. Cut out the funnel, shape, and attach to the ground-side, inside wall with haywire. Cut out the wall according to the size of the tunnel opening. Cut out the rectangular opening (12 x 16 inches) on three sides opposite the funnel, but leave the fourth side as a hinge for a door to remove magpies. If light-gauge wire is used, an additional reinforcing rod around the top and on the sides may be needed to make the trap sturdy. Cut out the top and attach. Stake down the trap in the area to be trapped.

post-16512-1206307896_thumb.jpg

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Neophobia? I'd leave it be, mate. If they're around it, they've found it. Just leave it and wait for one of them to break. I would :yes:

Think about it this way: If they won't yet go in Here ..... why should they go in over There?