Sheep netting trap

Guest Ditch_Shitter

F*ck what anyone else thinks or says, mate. Just go for it and find out. It's amazing what a man can do with a few bits and bobs and a lot of will power.

The wrinkles will present themselves and ye'll likely sort those out too. Great way to learn. Just give it a crack and enjoy :good:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Here ye go, Holders: Go back a page in This very Board. Check out my own Post about Sheep Netting Crow Trap. We lost all our photo's in a big crash some time ago. I've only just realised my Posts are showing none of the promised pix. I've just replaced that one and shall now put the rest back as ye read.

That's how it 'should' be done. It may give ye something to think about? ;)

Guest Ditch_Shitter

In a word, mate? Yep.

They'd drop in, with their wings folded. Try to fly back out. Learn all about Newtons' theory of the width of a birds open wings measuring a bloody site more than their closed wings. Bingo!

See; This is why I say Just Try. Maybe a hole in the ground could work? Who knows, till someone has a bash? As long as the drop is deep enough that a crow can't Hop back out? He won't be Getting out.

Fun, isn't it? :D

Guest Ditch_Shitter

2" Chicken wire on the sides.

" Grab the wire and ..... " :blink: Look; Put ye head out a small window. Spread ye arms wide. Then try to climb out that window without bending ye elbows.

These are Crows we're talking about. Not Blue Tits. Crows are amazingly intelligent. They've even scientifically demonstrated the ability to Reason. They can both remember experiences and Act upon the learning of that experience in future. That's bordering on the scarey, for a bird. But they are Not one of natures avian acrobats.

Guest Ditch_Shitter
yes but could they just go straight up thuog the roof?

:wallbash: Will: It's Late / Early, depending on ye view. I've had a long, whilst reasonably pleasent, night. Please don't spoil it by leaving me to respond to such questions.

" Could they just go straight up through the roof " ?! FFS! :chair:

To go through on the way out they would have to have enough run up inside the trap to get to a good speed, aiming at the entrance hole. The traps isn't big enough for that

Then just at the right moment they would have to fold their wings in like a sky diver to fit back through the hole then quickly get there wings out again.

Not impossible but would take a bit of planning

Jackdaws might be clever enough to 'climb' out though.

Have a read of the discussion on here http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/index...showtopic=14348

Guest Ditch_Shitter
Jackdaws might be clever enough to 'climb' out though.

Ever stood and watched a jackdaw dive into a chimney pot, only to pop back out again five minutes later, John? I'd dearly love to be able to see what goes on in there! How the hell do they get back up that tall, narrow, vertical chute? :icon_eek:

Guest Ditch_Shitter
Ever stood and watched a jackdaw dive into a chimney pot, only to pop back out again five minutes later, John? How the hell do they get back up that tall, narrow, vertical chute? :icon_eek:

The same way that a bluetit hangs onto the front of a planed plywood nest box I expect.

:hmm: Can't see it, mate. Tit may hook a claw in the entrence hole and hang there happy enough. From inside, they fly up to the hole - seen it on film.

I can only imagine jack's must only be entering chimneys which they've already blocked to very near the top with their nesting sticks - I pulled 25 gallons of Ash twigs out of my chimney here. Then they see how far down they have to go and know they can leap that foot, eighteen inches up to the rim of the actual pot.

Still make a fasinating little study for the bbc wildlife unit though. I'd love to see them do it and so have it confirmed.

Holders; Doesn't appear to be anything glaringly wrong with ye effort there, mate. Good luck with it. It'll be fun anyway ;)

the theory is sound but why use three wraps of sheep netting (only adding weight) when one would have done since your covering the shape with chicken mesh ?you could have made three and had one complete trap lighter in weight

and two partly made ready to mesh up, a lot of work for nothing but if you have the time go for it :clapper: one thing is certain they do work :whistling::thumbs: