`My theory

Guest pip

Guest Dunna

I'd have to agree PIP. I can't even remember the last time i was out and didn't have

to back fill an earth. This season we must have spent most our time back filling. I was

brought up to respect the quarry as well as the owners land etc. It just annoys me when

others who don't have a clue are ruining it for others who actually love the sport. As for

younger lads, my old man used bring a young lad out a few years back but as soon as

he was old enough to drive he has been going back to all our spots and regularly ruining

earths. He also goes out all summer which i disagree with and when the season starts

theres no sport for the genuine lads. Since then the only other younger lads we bring

out are family. Now don't get me wrong, this lad might be the minority but it has opened

our eyes as to who we bring out.

good topic i am a old codger compaired to a lot on here but we have always give all game a bit of a rest in summer to breed ect if not causeing a big problem ,also as said its not about killing so respect the game if you enjoy the kill your in the wrong sport ,that said when young or old we are all guilty of doing things wrong some times :icon_redface:

Just to put a perspective on this ,we KILL EVERYTHING we dig ,mainly because that is why we are there .There is no shame in admitting this as seems to be the norm on here .We are very lucky in that we have an abundandance of foxes to dig/bolt every year .We are not there to show off our dogs to the landowner or each other .If the dog dosnt make the grade in what is deemed as a good enough period then one day it dosnt come home ,simple .We give the quarry no law ,no sporting chance .It is despatched as soon as possible in a humane way .Seasons are observed to a point but we ALWAYS attend callouts for cubs in the wrong place .We expect one terrier to work an earth from start to finish and dont start youngsters in stop ends .They have to find in an earth or they will not make the grade .This is why we dont have a large kennel of terriers as we have high standards .Im still learning as we all are but i know that what we do is done for the good of the working terrier .

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone willing to take this on? There seems to be a genuine need for a 'How to...' post, plenty of guys on here with the experience to share. It would be a shame if the years of experience and depth of knowledge available on this site wasnt put to good use to help out the newbies, and to prevent some common myths about terrier work being accepted as gospel.

TT.

Well the better lads Ive dug with have all been self taught and learned from there own mistakes,to easy to pick up a book go out a few times and then write your own book lol. The way we deal with our quarry and dogs has always been a question of personal choice and personal morals rather than a question of politics and legality.The killing of an animal wild or domestic will always carry an element of stress however we try to dress it up. JMHO

I was lucky to be taken out by a friend of the family, he called me the son he never had due to the fact his sons werent interested in the game. I had dug to foxes for 20 years, started at 17 and had to give up a year ago, dont know evrything but who does. I miss it, aspecially not having the dogs around but keep in touch with old digging mates. If I were to start now I would find it difficult, most of the places round here are checked every week or have been shot out. I have been sh#t on by so called mate, you hear them at the gamefairs and shows bragging what they have dug, most of it is bollocks. It would be nice to think there is a part of the site to give advise to on the "Right Way" to do things. I would try to help if needed.

Guest whitser
Well the better lads Ive dug with have all been self taught and learned from there own mistakes,to easy to pick up a book go out a few times and then write your own book lol. The way we deal with our quarry and dogs has always been a question of personal choice and personal morals rather than a question of politics and legality.The killing of an animal wild or domestic will always carry an element of stress however we try to dress it up. JMHO

agreed, the only way to learn is by your mistakes and your successes. you dont need an old wise terrierman to tell you that you should kill or release as swiftly as possible and leave the field as you find it.i only only hunt fox so we dispatch any fox we get. thats why the farmers let me on their land in the first place,to control vermin, any fox is dispatchrd as swiftly as possible. hunt hard...kill swiftly.