Rat Problems

Guest Dillon

A pal has just called me to say he is at his wits end with some rats in his mothers loft and cavities,

He has tried first and 2nd generation poisons various baiting methods, traps, sticky pads, he has searched and searched and cant find where they are coming in.

There doesn't seem to be an obvious outside food source so nothing to take away, but still not going for baits/baited traps.

Can any of you pesties help out.

Are you sure they are not travelling from another property, as this can sometimes be the case with cavity walls, unless its detached. :search:

On the other hand has he actually seen them, if hes only heard them, is there a possibility it could be the tree rat.

Then you ve got a whole new ball game :icon_eek:

They must be tavelling from somewhere,

They definatley not taking the bait and leaving ?

Never had trouble catching rats where thers little food about with traps

But had major problems with mice in attic.

Sit it out with lamp and airgun :11: :11: :11:

Thats why its doing his head in !

Your right they have to be coming from somewhere, just where is the problem.  :blink:

Semi detached house, been in the loft next door, and no signs ??

rats have to drink every day, so it could be worth looking at liquid baits if they don,t have access to water in the loft space ,have you tried block baits nailed to a beam , as they have to sit and eat it, its so difficult giving advice without seeing the problem, its best to let a pro have a look, if they are not taking the bait they musty be eating somewhere, bird feeders are usually the first place to look , followed by bins and compost heaps ,they can access by climing up trees and bushes, any pro could probably suss it out straight away, i would try a local firm or council, recommended by someone else , don,t go with the big boys cos they charge over the odds and use scare tactics to get the work

Good advice moley

Most local authorities have a pest control officer and they dont charge, but they arnt always the most intelegent. I seen one once who tried to pick up a trapped squirrel with rubber gloves on :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

OOUCH

Cheers lads,

Thats the most annoying thing We are both qualified pesty's, (although I don't do it commercially) so the local council will be using all the stuff we use plus charging for it (no thanks) he has tried all the products which we usually use, the neosorexa liquid usually sees them off in the matter of a few days,not this time

Blocks, liquids,gels,soaked wheat, the lot, I think he will be taking the roof off soon. :11:

He has done a full and thorough survey Moley but can't get into the eaves due to the way the joists have been constructed, therefore can't see any holes.

Cheers Dillon

I had a very strange request a few weeks back, a pal asked me for some ferret shit :icon_eek: as he had rats under the house, and apparently all has been quiet since he put it in place.

That reminds me I hope he’s remembered to move it now :sick:

I would be more inclined to think they were getting access to the loft via the cavity. We had this problem in early winter.Check all around the base of the houses especially where drains run under lintels into the house.The rats were indeed feeding off bird tables and travelled a fair way to "play in the house at night,5.30 am actually".Found the small warren under a shed and ferretted it .