HW100 vs Theoben Rapid S-Type

I am thinking hard about buying a new air rifle. I currently use the exocet with a gas ram.

Do I go for the Rapid S-Type from Theoben or the HW100?

How many shots from one charge can you get from the HW100?

I need honest reviews please, as I'm considering shelling out £750 - £1000 the choice has to be right! :wallbash:

Regards to all

H

:gunsmilie:

i'd say it depends on what type of shooting you do.

if its static podding then the s type could be the job,but i wouldn't want to hump it around on a long stalking type sesion.

for me the hw100k is a much better option for alround hunting,shorter,lighter,quieter and just as well made.

yes a much lower shot count but how many shots does a man actually use on one hunting trip.

I mostly shoot pigeons over decoys, rooks over bait and rabbits when stalking. I have heard that the S-Type is a heavy gun. Am I being lead on by the advertising and the fact that the S-Type with silencer scope etc is nearly a grand, and thinking you get what you pay for?

H

• 1 month later...
I am thinking hard about buying a new air rifle. I currently use the exocet with a gas ram.

Do I go for the Rapid S-Type from Theoben or the HW100?

How many shots from one charge can you get from the HW100?

I need honest reviews please, as I'm considering shelling out £750 - £1000 the choice has to be right! :wallbash:

Regards to all

H

Edited by bunnyslayer

Thanks for that. I fancy the theoben as with a 500cc bottle you get hundreds of full power shots before recharge, but recently fired a hw100 in .177 and dropped a pigeon at a fair distance with an eye shot. Dunno now...

Edited by verminator

I recently had the same dilemma but it was the HW100/AAS410 debate, anyway I opted for the HW100 and I can honestly say after 20+ years of shooting & numerous guns ( some cheap & some outrageously expensive ) it's one of the best guns I've ever had the priviledge to own. Yes it is slightly heavy but I say that's down to the build quality as for the shot ratio yes it is a lot less than the Rapid. I can not speak for anyone else but when I go out for a mooch normally 3/4 hours I normally let off in the region of 20/30 shots and this average tends to be constant ( unless I have just accquired a new set of scopes ) then it's always more but I have never had to redline any of my PCPs regardless of shot capacity.

Hope this helps

Coney.

i used to have the standard length hw100 in mkII guise and can honestly say its probably the best air rifle ive ever owned - heavy(ish) yes - but well balanced with it (im only 5'4" and coped ok) - went for the t/hole stock as im left handed but also despite its plank like appearance is a very practical stock to use in different shooting positions. the magazine and cocking system are still the best going methinks - no double pellet loading etc - as for capacity - if tuned the standard length will do 9x14 shot mags before hitting the 90bar redline in .177 calibre. Personally wish id never sold mine (financial reasons only made me part with it)- will probably get th 'k' version once funds allow (incidentally the full size rifle isnt that large really) - shot many a theoben and although a very inpressive rifle (even better once fettled in the right hands as well) - it does have the larger shot count to boot if needed (but plenty of 2nd hand weirauch cylinders on the market if extra was needed) - BUT it does come at a financial premium over the HW - to be honest dont think you can buy better for the money (daystate x2, aa400 etc all pale into insignificance for the money once youve shot the hw imho)

so - can you guess which one id say to go for !!!

hth

atb

chris

Yes, the HW100 is very hard to beat and it is the rifle I end up taking with me on most trips ... even where the FAC Rapid MK 2 is suitable to use. It feels just right to the shoulder, is quiet and built like a brick along with that typical German engineering. I won't be getting rid of mine ever. One question to fellow users .... do you fill when the needle hits the red or the yellow section ... I always fill at the yellow section.

I get far more shots out of my .177 Hw100 than 75.....

Think about it Holdaway weve been out twice and think how many shots I have had on one fill, I have the early model with the heavier cylinder I have heard good things about the lighter cylinders on the quick fill,how much are they?