Plummer terriers

Keeps..Nice dodge...I meant why take it in the first place or buy one for beating as no terrier is the equal of a well bred gundog

Wasnt a dodge Hawkeye, we didnt buy her as a gun dog, but she can do it..... as well as many other things too :D so why buy another? :unsure: :11:

Ive just sold one of my terrier pups to a gun, hes planning to use him for rough shooting - he could have got a gun dog :search: but he decided to go for something different ..... ;):D

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

..mmmmm well done !    You mentioned you "I actually had one myself" I presume this was red as my records say you only had red born 96 ..or did you re-invest?     Lol Glenn you love all this do

Thought you might be interested in this Jack, if you enjoyed the book,   This is a son of Omega's, a dog called Blue, he died in 1996 but was about 4 yrs old in this pic  

thanks.

Posted Images

I had a Plummer (Rocky/Summerbird) from Curtis Price in 1991, I was only a teenager at the time and worked the dog with my ferrets for rats and rabbits, the dog was also used to either catch bunnies in cover or push them out for my collie. The dog bolted many foxes from pipes at the local ironworks but was never dug to. I was very happy with my bitch until she died aged three from meningitis. I do like Plummer terriers but can't comment on them as digging dogs as my foxes always bolted from pipes, not deep earths and I currently have a Nuttal bred Patterdale who has sold me on the breed.

Simoman :D

Regarding the beating line;Every keeper i know or worked with had and has a terrier or 2 on the beating line weather it be a long tailed great russell or a carpenter,they all do the same job if not BETTER than a spaniel in the beating line :)  :good:

Agreed almost every shoot i have been on there has been a terrier in the beating line.

Guest knocavoeboy

So none of these books are good then? im not opposed to trying earthwork, but im certainly not going to shove my dog down a hole without a clue of what im meant to be doing, what books do you recommend for earthwork advice?

you dont shove any terrier down a hole, they only go if they want to and its fairly instinctive. those opposed to hunting constantly use this type of language. just had to point that out. :ph34r:

Some of the lines within the breed work to ground better than others, but all the ones I know of have better than average noses, some are superb. It depends what you are after in the dog. Are they as good as other breeds at earth work, well, thats a difficult one as thankfully everyone is different and wants different things from their dogs so most will do for most people.

All the best.

Thought you might be interested in this Jack, if you enjoyed the book,

This is a son of Omega's, a dog called Blue, he died in 1996 but was about 4 yrs old in this pic  :)

Blue.jpg

I knew that dog Keeps and like many Plummers, had a reputation for being aggressive, something I personally witnessed. :(

I like the pic of the one with the cut ears...that's brambles for you...wait till you dig a fox. :blink:

• Like 1
Thought you might be interested in this Jack, if you enjoyed the book,

This is a son of Omega's, a dog called Blue, he died in 1996 but was about 4 yrs old in this pic  :)

Blue.jpg

I knew that dog Keeps and like many Plummers, had a reputation for being aggressive, something I personally witnessed. :(

I like the pic of the one with the cut ears...that's brambles for you...wait till you dig a fox. :blink:

Those dates don't add up though...

Was he owned by Martin Hale of Chelmsford way? I'm sure it's the same dog.

Nice to be missed Keeps; wanted to chat with proper terrier people like yourself... :D

Jack- on the subject of books to gain info from remember this-its only ever one mans opinion{unless your readig something by DBP].Read several books and take on board the infomation that suits you.You should have a spell out with some digging lads first to see if its really what you thought it was.

Wrong surname Nuv but you're nearly right  :D  those dates came straight from the horses mouth so to speak  :yes:

I thought you wouldn't be able to resist joining in  :rolleyes:  :friends:

I'm right about the aggression...put me off them for life. :(

What year would he have been whelped then Keeps...and how old would the dam have been?? :whistle:

Yes there is a certain amount of aggression with them, but then they are supposed to be a terrier, and IMO a terrier should have a bit of fire in their belly :yes::D

Mine have had one or two "disagreements" :11: but they still love each other :D

FIRE.jpg

dogs.jpg

dogs1.jpg

and more importantly they work together

da6953f3.jpg

rats8.jpg

rats1.jpg

Yes there is a certain amount of aggression with them, but then they are supposed to be a terrier, and IMO a terrier should have a bit of fire in their belly  :yes:  :D

Mine have had one or two "disagreements"  :11:  but they still love each other  :D

FIRE.jpg

dogs.jpg

dogs1.jpg

and more importantly they work together

da6953f3.jpg

rats8.jpg

rats1.jpg

Terriers should NOT be aggressive..they should be game.

Any news on the dates?