Beginning with decoys

Hi all, this is my first official posting except for the introduction one.

I have been reading through all of the topics here and have seen that there is a fountain of knowledge spread amongst all the good postings.

I thought I would start with a small but vital (I think) alteration, which can be carried out by anyone buying shell decoys with the stiff plastic pegs.

I have attached a picture to this article showing how the end product should look, and the angle at which the peg should be used.

First, you will need:

Old bed springs or similar

Hacksaw or hacksaw blade

Now, about an inch or inch and a half below the T-piece of the plastic peg, use the hacksaw and cut the peg in two.

Stretch the spring until the coils are seperated by two or three millimeters when relaxed. Cut the spring into two inch segments and screw both seperate ends of the cut peg into the spring leaving a half inch gap.

The peg is used at an angle leaning forward. The shell is then placed onto the peg using the first slot closest to the head. This ensures that the decoy lays horizontal or slighlty head down.

The slightest breeze will then set your shell in a rocking or pecking motion.

I know these pegs can be bought, but for those of us more independant shooters, the fun of making your own equipment goes a long way toward the end result.

I hope no-one takes offence at the obviousness of this posting and I hope it will help out the newbies who are a little shy in asking.

:gunsmilie:

post-16512-1205251994.jpg

post-16512-1205252012_thumb.jpg

Edited by Holdaway

Well Holdaway it may be obvious but I'm still surprised that you've not had any replies. This sort of simple but practical modification can make a difference and unless people have seen the finished results they're not always prepared to start cutting up their kit.

So thanks for taking the trouble to put this post together. :thumbs:

Nice clean decoy too - I can never keep mine like that. :no: