how to catch a magpie

some old people buy me asked me to deal with some magpies that in the past been steeling there baby birds, iv set a larsen trap with some eggs in the shape of a nest in a feild some miles away in the hope of bringing one back to near there house to catch there ones, but do you think they will go near it will they f k so any tips would be great thanks..

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Trawl about this board and its sub boards, there's already a huge wealth of information been typed out, mate ;)

Regards ye present situation though; What makes ye think 'strange' maggies will enter that trap while the local ones won't? Why not just set for those. Catch one, ye 110% guaranteed the other.

Set it in the garden where their used to seeing stuff made by humans and if the one you catch wont bring the others in take the trap to your other place where it should catch a different maggie and then bring that one back. The first one should catch though if the others see him living it up with food on tap.

Guest Ditch_Shitter
I can't get one in either at the moment. I'm wondering if it's too early for eggs.

Good point, JB. Same here, yet. And it Is a bit early for eggs :hmm:

Gnipper; :notworthy: What a brilliant way of putting it! Perfect Post! :clapper:

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to catch a winged magpie today thats been running around for about a month, feck me them things can run, there was three of us after it and if he hadn't paused to hop up a 10ft hedge he would have been in the next county. He's a feisty little fecker and i've put him in one of my larsens in a place where there were 8 maggies playing all morning. Fingers crossed i'll have some more tomorrow and i'll be able to dish them out and start the ball rolling locally.

Just about got my breath back now too :thumbs:

Guest little_lloyd

Picked up a magpie from the gamefame farm today,, Sorted him out with his new living quaters,, went in the wood to do my daily trap inspections and when i came back through the wood two magpies flew of a tree above the larson,, So the campain has started :clapper:

Eggs and broken eggs presented in the form of a dummy nest will catch magpies and crows all year round. Yes they increase there attractivness during the nesting season (like me :laugh: ) but will catch at other times too. All of the corvid family will help themselves to a free meal if the situation allows, so restricting the use of eggs as an attractant to catch your call bird to just the nesting season seems a wasted oppourtunity to me. As with all trapping......experimenting with different baits at different times of the year will bring the best results. ;)

Rolfe.

I gave up trying to catch my own call bird and got one dropped off by a mate on Monday morning :rolleyes: . By the time he was in the trap and I'd sorted his water out and set it, it was about 9am. By 9.20am the first maggie was caught :good: and he was off to do some calling in another mates trap.

There was four swooping down yesterday going from tree to tree and hopping around the trap but not going in it. However the second one was caught this morning who is also off to another trap this afternoon :big_boss:

Guest little_lloyd
im running 6 larsons at the moment, caught 28 since start of the month. once you got your decoy bird, your laughing..... ooh except doo gooders who let them out. so i clip there wing now haha..

Good idea wing cliping,, Not sure if its legal or not tho,, but they certanly dont get far it some one lets em out do they lol