'SHOOTING IN' A RIFLE BARREL

Shotgun barrels blow up regularly when left oiled buddy. Rifles aren,t as bad, but it is still dangerous, as it does raise pressures in the chamber. I doubt the merest smear of oil, caused by your "two drops" would blow up your gun, but why risk it? plus the fact, that an oiled bore will throw the first couple of shots off target anyway.

Lots of people oil their bores after cleaning, but put a patch soaked in meths down prior to shooting it again, to remove the oil. My guns dont stay unfired long enough for me to worry about leaving my bores dry in the cabinet. My house is dry, my cabinets are dry, and i have several vapour phase inhibitor patches hung in the cabinets just in case.

Good thinking :thumbs:

Thanks mate

Edited by young1982

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi baldie

I did read your post on what you use what i want to know is that if their is one place where i can get kg1 and butch'bore shine i have found them but on different shop website wich means 2 delivery charges and i just though there might be one shop that i could get them from.

Cheers paulhed

Guest baldie

Hello Paul. I,ve just been looking now, as i want some kg1 myself, and the usual place thegunshop.co .uk is out of stock, and i dont know of anyone else that does it, except maybe Aftab at reloadingsolutions.co.uk

Butches is available at most gunshops, i know tim hannams does as do york guns, and ourselves.

Hoppes 009 is a good old fashioned solvent that works, and its cheap , at £3 a bottle, great on powder fouling.

If you like the foam cleaners, then forrest foam is excellent, but get that powder out first, so that the solvent can get at the copper.

Hi baldie

Looks like the way i will go and i will try your barrel running in method on a nice little tikka m55 222 i have just got that is shooting at best 2 and a half inch groups at 100yards and see if it makes it better.

Cheers paulhed

Edited by paulhed
Guest baldie

An m55? obviously not new. Keep digging the copper out of the barrel with good solvent, it will take hours buddy if its not been cleaned regularly. Copper shows up as blue on a white patch. Well worth it...the m55 is a very fine gun indeed.

If it isn,t new, and has been shot before, and i,m guessing it has, it sounds badly fouled, get it clean, and then clean regularly, no need to follow break in procedures, as it will already be well broken in, by default.

Hi baldie

Your right not new i got the rifle for a steal the stock was a mess and their was loads of fowling in the chamber and the locking lug recesses it took me 2 day to get a clean patch out of the barrel and all the dirty grease and grime out of the action.I refinished the stock and now the rifle looks clean but i will try shooting the barrel in i will let you know how i get on.

Cheers paulhed

post-10196-1204659578_thumb.jpg

Guest baldie

Paul, you can only shoot in a brand new barrel mate. What it means, is smoothing out the microscopic burrs left by the chambering reamer. Your tikka is well past that.I,m guessing it will be badly fouled.The easy way, is to give it a damn good scrubbing with powder remover, then use forrest foam in it, every night for a week. Fill up the bore, and leave it overnight, then scrub it out the next day. Do it for a week, and see what its like. If it hasn,t improved, then more drastic measures are called for, and you will need a tub of JB bore paste. This is applied with a patch smeared with it, and pushed up and down the bore in short 2" strokes, or "shortstroking. When you get to the far end, you may have done 300 strokes, and then you swab the barrel out with 009, or some meths. This polishes the bore, and will remove extremely tough copper fouling.However, its not a regular thing to use, as it microscopically wears the bore, and is more of a "shit or bust" thing. It will usually ressurect a barrel though, infact, i havent known it fail yet.

Hi baldie

I will try the week long cleaning and i hope that will do the trick as i love the rifle and just hope i dont have to get a new barrel as i know the m55 are not the youngest of rifles. But even still if it comes to that i will get it done out of love of the rifle.I did try to find out how old the rifle is but had no joy so far as tikka wont respond to my emails.

Cheers paulhed

Guest baldie
Thanks Baldie. How delicate is a rifles bore. Ie, is it possible to damage it by using a brass or aluminum cleaning rod to vigorously? Cheers

Yes it is buddy, however, its virtually immpossible to damage it, when the correct bore guide is used.These should be used on EVERY rifle.Bores and crowns are delicate, and a good quality cleaning rod is a must...dewey being the best. A word of warning for boresnake users. Whilst these are excellent, care must be excersiced when pulling them through the bore.The snake must be pulled out in a straight line from the bore...DONT pull it out at an angle, you will damage the crown.