16 replies to this topic

#1 Tazbird

Tazbird

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:24 pm

I have recently purchased a male harris hawk. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if and what the law requires to keep one? :hmm:
i would be greatful for any advice posted

#2 hawklad

hawklad

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:34 pm

hi there mate there is no law in having one eg having a lissence ect but you dont want to rush into getting your first bird for any more help just ask

#3 Tazbird

Tazbird

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:54 pm

what size has the living quarters got to be :thumbs:

#4 SPAR

SPAR

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:01 pm

You dont need anything to purchased a Harris. The only paperwork you need is an A10 but that is only for birds that are a schedule 4 bird which are Golden Eagle, Merlin, Gyr Falcon, Peregrine Falcon, Barbary Falcon, Hobby, Goshawk and hybrids of these species.

#5 hawklad

hawklad

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:04 pm

a good man to get your kit from is benlong and crown falconry

#6 D.A.Z

D.A.Z

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:37 am

tazbird,have i understood your post right mate.you have just bought a mhh,you dont know if you require any licences etc,and dont know what size living quaters.where have you got it living at the moment.??
it may be a idea to get somone local to you to give you a hand and some advice mate.
thanks daz
ps i bet i wish i had keept my nose out.

#7 SPAR

SPAR

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:43 am

I was thinking the same :wallbash:

#8 Tazbird

Tazbird

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:27 pm

i should of explained better at the moment he is being kept in a 6ft by 5ft shed but was wondering if that is enough room for him. he has a perch and a shelve in there as well as his bow perch and a bath. could you advise me if this is big enough or should i make him a larger avery.thanks for the replys so far :thumbs:

#9 SPAR

SPAR

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:46 pm

What I would do personally is bow him down 24/7 fly him 7 days a week then see what next year brings for free-lofting. I have free-lofted year old birds before but prefer to bow them for the first year.
This is just my option so dont bite my head off :notworthy:

#10 Tazbird

Tazbird

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:57 pm

thanks for the reply, didn't mean to sound like i was bitting you head off. :thumbs:. I'm greatful for all advice thats given, i've had a few people local tell me things but the more you here from people in the game the better knowledge i have

#11 hawkman

hawkman

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:51 pm

thanks for the reply, didn't mean to sound like i was bitting you head off. http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/pub.... I'm greatful for all advice thats given, i've had a few people local tell me things but the more you here from people in the game the better knowledge i have

i put my H H on bow perch every morning in garden with bath then put in mews on night time unless below freezing then bring in house

#12 gsi2000stokie

gsi2000stokie

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:57 pm

I have recently purchased a male harris hawk. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if and what the law requires to keep one? http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/pub...

taz mate. mail me your address and il post you some dvd.s if you dont know owt about them. really you should read a few books before you buy a bird mate but its a bit late for that now so i think a dvd is a bit quicker to learn but do got some books. for both your sakes.

#13 gsi2000stokie

gsi2000stokie

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:00 am

thanks for the reply, didn't mean to sound like i was bitting you head off. http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/pub.... I'm greatful for all advice thats given, i've had a few people local tell me things but the more you here from people in the game the better knowledge i have

i put my H H on bow perch every morning in garden with bath then put in mews on night time unless below freezing then bring in house
you can get a tubular greenhouse heater off ebay for 12 quid mate. ive got one and it does the job well. got a bit fed up with my lady moaning every morning

#14 D.A.Z

D.A.Z

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:32 pm

I have recently purchased a male harris hawk. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if and what the law requires to keep one? http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/pub...

taz mate. mail me your address and il post you some dvd.s if you dont know owt about them. really you should read a few books before you buy a bird mate but its a bit late for that now so i think a dvd is a bit quicker to learn but do got some books. for both your sakes.
very well put that.and a very kind offer :clapper:
thanks daz

Edited by D.A.Z, 25 February 2008 - 06:32 pm.

#15 Tazbird

Tazbird

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:03 pm

thanks very much for all your help it's all greatly appreciated, i have a slim knowledge of H H but sometimes what you read in a book isn't the same as what you can learn from hands on experience :thumbs: , the books that i've read have all been very advanced could anyone recommend a good writer for a novice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)