62 replies to this topic

#1 picardy

picardy

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:38 pm

Hi all looking for some info on some good quality hunting boots looking for something for all aspects of hunting,shooting etc. been looking at danner boots and lowa,altberg,le chameu what are your valued opinions

#2 Guest_buster321c_*

Guest_buster321c_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:47 pm

got some lowa combat gtx before xmas about £169 ,superb boots i would advise you go and try some on very light ,very comfy ,

Edited by buster321c, 21 February 2008 - 10:48 pm.

#3 Guest_Ditch_Shitter_*

Guest_Ditch_Shitter_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:14 am

I see ye listing all the 'big and fancy' names there, mate. But, personally, I just had a pair of Berghausse, with GoreTex lining. Wore the living f*ck out of them for a couple of years and then destroyed them by falling asleep with me feet in the grate. £75.00 at sale time. I'll look for those again, next time I can afford footwear.

#4 Caravan Monster

Caravan Monster

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:34 am

I started a thread about boots a few months back. Sorry, I don' t know how to do a link. On the advice given there, I bought a pair of Meindl Dovre Extreme, which were very expensive, but the best quality boots I have ever had the pleasure of putting on. Feet toasty and sweat free and could walk all day and night in them. Just hope their reputation for longeveity is true, to justify the price.

#5 jonnie

jonnie

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:48 am

Hi all looking for some info on some good quality hunting boots looking for something for all aspects of hunting,shooting etc. been looking at danner boots and lowa,altberg,le chameu what are your valued opinions

Don't know where you are,but what about "Real" fell boots from Staffordshire?Lad at Stoney Middleton. About £140.00 a pair.Last years with right care.

#6 Guest_deerman_*

Guest_deerman_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:17 am

Just got out of army after 16 years tryed them all, lowa about the best, only thing with gortex their warm and if water gets over top they take days to dry out,top tip on drying them out leave them in room temp and fill with news paper ,keep changing paper every 12 hours until their dry, and loads of dubin and boot polish ,
DM

#7 proper job

proper job

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:23 pm

I bought a pair of lowa, army surplus, £40 six years ago, still going, I have just bought a pair of german para boots, £25, they look to be lowas as well, no goretex, although if wet I just wear goretex socks, £3 a pair off flea bay.

#8 SINDASOX

SINDASOX

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:34 pm

I started a thread about boots a few months back. Sorry, I don' t know how to do a link. On the advice given there, I bought a pair of Meindl Dovre Extreme, which were very expensive, but the best quality boots I have ever had the pleasure of putting on. Feet toasty and sweat free and could walk all day and night in them. Just hope their reputation for longeveity is true, to justify the price.

Glad your pleased with them fellla,

Link here

SINDASOX ;)

#9 proper job

proper job

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:29 pm

Just got out of army after 16 years tryed them all, lowa about the best, only thing with gortex their warm and if water gets over top they take days to dry out,top tip on drying them out leave them in room temp and fill with news paper ,keep changing paper every 12 hours until their dry, and loads of dubin and boot polish ,
DM

Deerman, perhaps you can help me out here, how do stop the lowas from f***in sqeaking when you walk, how the feck you'd ever creep up anyone to slot 'em, I'll never know. When I'm out at night I'm so concious of them and I think everything for miles would here me coming. I think the sound comes from the padded bit at the top of the boot or the tongue, I've tried wearing them tight, loose, dubbined, oiled, please any insider tips here?
ps don't tell me to piss on 'em, I'm not that desperate :laugh:

#10 fatboyhunter

fatboyhunter

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:34 pm

Ebay search - "skee tex boots" (item no. 310024455680) very good boots, bought them on ebay at a very good price (£50) water proof, very warm, breathable.

Attached Files

#11 Guest_deerman_*

Guest_deerman_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2008 - 05:43 am

DM

Deerman, perhaps you can help me out here, how do stop the lowas from f***in sqeaking when you walk, how the feck you'd ever creep up anyone to slot 'em, I'll never know. When I'm out at night I'm so concious of them and I think everything for miles would here me coming. I think the sound comes from the padded bit at the top of the boot or the tongue, I've tried wearing them tight, loose, dubbined, oiled, please any insider tips here?
ps don't tell me to piss on 'em, I'm not that desperate http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/pub... mate are they new boots? might just take time for leather to soften if thier new thats why the squeak, if not just keep dubining them ,wear them in water ,but sounds to me just need loads of miles put in them to brake them in, hopr this helps.

DM

#12 teknystoddy

teknystoddy

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 04:28 pm

Lowa mountain boots, about 60 quid on ebay, best boots Ive owned including a £230 pair. Theyre really good, comfortable, warm, dry, hard wearing. I completely agree with deerman, lots of polish and dubbin. I dont buff the excess polish off and make them shiny, I let them warm by the fire and then apply the dubbin, again let them sit by the fire until the leather has absorbed it all. Great allround, value for money boot. Hope this helps.

TT.

#13 will98

will98

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 04:43 pm

get welleys mate there top stuff :victory:

#14 picardy

picardy

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:47 pm

Lowa mountain boots, about 60 quid on ebay, best boots Ive owned including a £230 pair. Theyre really good, comfortable, warm, dry, hard wearing. I completely agree with deerman, lots of polish and dubbin. I dont buff the excess polish off and make them shiny, I let them warm by the fire and then apply the dubbin, again let them sit by the fire until the leather has absorbed it all. Great allround, value for money boot. Hope this helps.

TT.

cheers for the avice very much apprecated will have a look on ebay

#15 proper job

proper job

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:37 pm

ps don't tell me to piss on 'em, I'm not that desperate :laugh: mate are they new boots? might just take time for leather to soften if thier new thats why the squeak, if not just keep dubining them ,wear them in water ,but sounds to me just need loads of miles put in them to brake them in, hopr this helps.

DM
[/quote]
[/quote]
They've got plenty of miles in, sounds like more dubbin needed, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users