Pigeon Shooting

Whilst talking to the farmer today hundreds of pigeons where feeding on his rape, he dropped a few hints about me decoying them even though i know there still in big flocks and are very hard at decoying :no: but im giving them ago on saturday,keep him happy,im getting up there first light see if i can get a doe to start of with :D

A bit frustrasting in m y bit of Hertfordshire. Went out Sunday for four hours. Big flock (150+) on the eifld of rape I usually shoot over. they flew off as I arrived. Set up hide, bouncers and decoys. About 100 pigeons returned but landed about 200 yards away. They were slowly but steadily working their way down the field towards me, whena buzzard spooked them and they flew off and didn't return. Waited two hours and nothing cam near.

Moved to another farm close by. Hundreds of pigeons feeding on rape at far corner of field by main road (where I can't shoot). Eventually a fired a shot to move them on. They all flew over me but at least 200 feet up in the air!

All I got that day was a rat that was scuttling along the edge of the field!

pigeons up here are hard work at the moment also still flocked up best time is 1st couple of hours in the morning good luck

regards

out yesterday the lad shooting shot 49 pigeons,for 190 cartridges finished at 1pm,he should have had 100+ easily if he had shot any good,lots of small groups about just right for decoying,shot in the mintlaw area north east scotland courtisy of scott cruikshank [sAC]

There are more pigeons in my area (Fife) this winter than I have seen in the last 15 years.

They had a very long breeding season last year, shot our first squab on 31st March and was still shooting young birds in mid November!

Had some good bags of late, huge numbers (4-5k) of birds in some areas, this years going to be a good one!!

Mark.