just wondering how old you have to be to own a shotgun and have a licence is it under a section 1 firearm or something

thanks

gilly :victory:

i got my shot gun at 16 but my mum had to have a key to cabinet but when i turned 17 all mine.

Under 14 :- You may not use a section 1 firearm except for target shooting as a member of a Home Office approved rifle club.

Age 14 to 17 :- At the age of 14 you may be granted a firearms certificate and be given firearms & ammunition in accordance with the conditions specified on the certificate.

Over 17 :- You may buy a firearm & ammunition in accordance with the conditions set out on your certificate.

SHOTGUNS :-

Under 15 :- You can only shoot under the direct supervision of an adult over 21.

Age 15 to 17 :- You can be loaned or given a shotgun and cartridges but you cannot purchase them. You can use a shotgun without supervision provided you have a current shotgun certificate.

Over 17 :- You can buy a shotgun provided you have a shotgun certificate.

NB :- A shotgun certificate is required at any age unless the following applies :-

You are shooting with the occupier of land and using their gun, in their presence and on their land or you are shooting at a police approved Clay shoot.