.22lr-.17hmr

Deker is also right about the uses of HMR - the buildings side is one I hadn't thought of but it's perfect for the Vmax head (although HM2 would probably be better).

The FLO isn't completely insane. For long range vermin (key words: long range) 223 will do everything the HMR does and do it better. The ammunition can be the same price, 223 is flatter, less wind affected and hits harder. And rabbits are edible but you gotta hit them in the head.

HMR dropping off around the 200 yard mark is a good thing for a safety POV, but is it really a long range tool? I'd have said medium range really - 100-150 yards. Long range 150+, and 223 is better.

All of that said, there is usually a case for HMR, maybe it's just a case of getting the FEO to understand the problem, and the way in which HMR will answer it?

Edited by Mr_Logic

A few of the lads at the rifle club told me that the F/A officer would say no to hmr he prefers you to have a .223.

There is nothing I can do but wait and hope he retires :D

Rich.

"Rifle Club" If you are talking target, HMR is not an accepted target tool, although FMJ is now available. .223 is much more accepted as a target tool!

I suspect you should count your blessings, I wish my man would say F**k off, you can't have a .223, have a .5O, that will do everything a .223 will and more! :thumbs::gunsmilie:

Mind you..if you shop around you will find .223 ammo cheaper than HMR, actually, the more I think about it your man is pretty useful!! :clapper::clapper::victory:

A few of the lads at the rifle club told me that the F/A officer would say no to hmr he prefers you to have a .223.

Rich.

"Rifle Club" If you are talking target, HMR is not an accepted target tool, although FMJ is now available. .223 is much more accepted as a target tool!

I suspect you should count your blessings, I wish my man would say F**k off, you can't have a .223, have a .5O, that will do everything a .223 will and more! :thumbs::gunsmilie:

Mind you..if you shop around you will find .223 ammo cheaper than HMR, actually, the more I think about it your man is pretty useful!! :clapper::clapper::victory:

I thought you were economising ;) 50BMG ain't cheap :D

Rich.

I am a member of a rifle & pistol club but I also have about 3500 acres I have permission to shoot on in North Yorkshire & a bit in West Yorkshire, you will be amazed at the amount of farmers faces that light up when you tell them you are a joiner and you can dry stone wall aswell. :boogie:

Rich. :D

Rich.

I thought you were economising ;) 50BMG ain't cheap :D

£2.50 - £5.00 a bang, (hold of 1200, buy of 1000 would do)...actually, not sure if I could even carry that many, just the thing for farm yard shooting though! I wonder if anything would be left of "bunny"? :whistling:

sportingshooter06, no he would not let me have a .17hmr. He said a .223 will do everything a .17hmr would and more so I didnt need one, North Yorks police.

This is my first FAC cert so I am going to give it another 12 months or so and try again, he is correct in a way the 223 will do everything a 17 will and I have a 22lr for short range bunnies.

Rich.

sorry to contradict you just seemed a bit strange! north yorks police sound like they know as little about firearms as the League against cruel sports. i think you ought to donate a bunny to him shot with a .223 see how much good meat he gets off it. might prove a point :clapper:

thanks

ss06

Sorry for being ignorant but I have read this thread and I am none the wiser.

Where I live you cannot get a .223 rifle. I thought you could kill bunnies up to 300 yrds with a .22, seems this is not the case.

Knifebar :hmm:

you can do rabbits reliably at 70 yards with a 22lr..iv shot them out to 110 yards but your holding well over the target and you run the risk of wounded rabbits runing off...with 223 i shoot rabbits out to 220 yards but i only use a 6 power scope so thats at the limit of my skill really..youve got to be fairly good to take them further..alot of people dont use a range finders so distance is guessed alot of the time at not very accurate...

)thanks lad's for the onfo after reading the above (advice)am i better of getting a .22wmr instead of a .17hmr :wallbash::wallbash: this maybe sound silly but can you use .22lr rounds in a .22wmr rifle

thanks folks

Edited by daz
)thanks lad's for the onfo after reading the above (advice)am i better of getting a .22wmr instead of a .17hmr :wallbash::wallbash:

Everyones skills, needs, desires, permissions, ideas are different.....in the light of this I would get a .22WMR, that suits me best for all my land and the results expected of me.

Many will say the .17HMR and others may well say something else, sometimes there are no right answers ...suck it and see as they say!

:thumbs:

think im gonna go for the .22wmr my form should land tomorrow in the post .how much are cci for the .22wmr and thanks again for advice.

They make several and in principle you should find them all a bit cheaper than HMR! Have a word with your local dealer and ask what he stocks.