FIRST BOAR (sow)

Packed up the car on Saturday and headed South to meet a meet a guy who said he could give me a chance of a boar or two if we were lucky. The long drive was well worth it to say the least. My guide turned out to be one of the nicest blokes I have ever met and after a few rounds on the range to get my eye in we sat down to a home cooked meal of wild boar bangers, bloody lovely too they were. We had a good natter until darkness was well upon us then packed up the 4x4 and made for the shooting areas.

Now OK I have seen some pictures of what signs to look for but I was not prepared for the sight of so much damage, some of the fields had sustained at least a 50% loss of pasture others even more. I would imagine the crop fields are in for it too !

A combination of waiting, stalking and many miles of walking produced our first and only oportunity. Just before midnight we stopped at a farm that was taking a real hiding from the boar and after a short distance of about 250yds down a steepish gradient that took us out of the light from the farm house that was silhouetting us, we spotted one having a rumage about, it was still a long way off but after an ankle twisting stalk through all the divots and trenches they had caused (you will have to excuse my terminology) we got into a position with a good back stop. Still at a fair down hill gradient, I set the sticks, the lamp lit her up and the cross hairs were bang on the boiler house, my heart was banging like it wanted out, but a gentle squeeze of my trigger finger sent the 180 grain ballistic tipped .308 straight to its mark. I knew the shot hit its mark and I expected a reaction similar to what I had experienced from deer, not the case, through the scope I saw the slight lift and then a short wait, almost as though it was trying to decide what to do next. Instinct kicked in and it set off running but only for about 25yds before it dropped like a stone, kicked three times then lay motionless.

On the way to it I paced out 94 of my lanky strides. The gralloch revealed a text book shot that had shreaded the upper part of the heart.

I cant put into words the feeling, but I reckon you guys who shoot/hunt regularly will know what I mean and I cant see it ever not happening when you get a good result with a clean kill.

A couple of pics from my phone but more to follow from the camera.

post-11933-1202740097_thumb.jpg

post-11933-1202740110_thumb.jpg

post-11933-1203009022_thumb.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is good aint it, hope you had fun lugging it about :clapper: .......eddie

Its a belting night out Eddie, cant wait for the next outing, probably going to late summer/early Autumn now though.

Lugging it about was no problem, 12v winch on bulkhead in back of the motor sorted it out a treat.

nice result bet the farmers happy too. :toast:

Tell you what mate, I never realised the amount of damage those beasties can do, the farmers must be well pi**ed off at them.

The meat is still a bit fresh yet but a lump of loin is getting cooked tonight.

Pete mate we have got a couple around the trough and are at them tonight,

SUNP0101-1.jpg

SUNP0104.jpg

And a bigger boy on his own

SUNP0031.jpg

if you hang him for a day or two i will bet that its the best thing you have ever hunted shot and eaten, ive never met any one we have given it to that didnt think so

Pete mate we have got a couple around the trough and are at them tonight,

SUNP0101-1.jpg

SUNP0104.jpg

And a bigger boy on his own

SUNP0031.jpg

if you hang him for a day or two i will bet that its the best thing you have ever hunted shot and eaten, ive never met any one we have given it to that didnt think so

Hope you got one Fella

Due to travel distance the grunter was strung up in the barn within a few hours of being shot. It was skinned(in a fashion lol) and I took enough to fill my cool box, so had 1 front + back leg/shoulder and the loin off one side. Had to do it that way or drive all the back down for my share as I have no where to discretely and safely hang a full or half carcase.

Missus turned her nose up at it but I wasnt too fussed, more for me, I had a seriously large portion of griddled loin with a few spuds and greens.

To any one reading this who gets a chance of some wild boar, have a go people, I can say that it is without a shadow of the doubt, one of the nicest meats I have ever tasted. Even got some cold in my sarnies for lunch !

As that dodgy chef on the telly says, " happy days mate"