Impressions of Autumn Ferreting

Guest Keeps

Was a fresh autumn morning, clear blue sky, when we set back off once again into the woods. The woolly hat season is upon us!

8.jpg

24.jpg

Getting the ferrets ready, they quiver with excitement when taken out of the box

1.jpg

11.jpg

Setting the nets

18.jpg

5.jpg

2.jpg

19.jpg

and the ferrets were starting to do well

12.jpg

3.jpg

9.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

28.jpg

a couple of rabbits bolted from unnetted holes, sometimes difficult to see them with all the leaves around, Indie had a couple of hair-raising courses through the woods :icon_eek: but luckily came back unscathed :icon_redface:

DSC_0121.jpg

fantastic pics well done ...i went out this morning for a walk on a shooting estate where i have taken many rabbits over the years..but it was obvious that all was not right there was not a rabbit to be found...it looked like mixy had hit them during the summer ...my 2 beddies and my lakie x did show a bit of interest at the base of a tree so i netted up and dropped the ferret in and i waited but no sign of rabbit or ferret...after a while she did show minus her collar...great..i did get a mark but you would needed a chain saw...so i walked away 30 pound less of and gutted ...the dogs worked hard all day for nothing...things cant get any worse..but they did we moved over to the other side of the farm where i saw 2rabbits pop in i netted up and dropped the ferret in but nothing showed..then my little jill came running out of the hole and ran up the hedge bottom as fast as her legs would take her...i new there was something wrong ...when i picked her up she had been badly bitten on the neck...by the size of her wound i can guess that it must have been a small vixen in 30 yrs of ferreting this is the first time i have seen any thing like this its nice to see you had a good day keep the pics up good night :good:

Keeps

Were the rabbits in the trees to stop the terriers eating them? With my two they beleive in eating what they catch, there and then.

Celt

No Celt, just makes them easier to see on the way back, we leave them in the trees as we go along - the dogs know they can't eat them unless they're given them :)