Best Allrond Moderator for a .243 and .308

Group: Members

Member No.: 15297

Hi, I am new to this site and I would like to ask a question. I have just bought a Blaser R93 with a .243 and .308 barrel and I want a moderator for both barrels but I have heard so much about so many different makes that I wanted to hear some people who are actually using them day in and day out and see which one they preferred. Thanks Jon

I suspect most will come back with the T8. These do a perfectly adequate sound suppressing job but build quality is not that great.

I use the ASE range on centrefires now, they are built like the proverbial "brick sh*t house" but depends which one you get weight can be a bit of a problem! Cost a bit more than the T8

Whatever...if you have a .243 and .308 barrel you are going to need 2 different sizes to do the job properly!

So on top of a fairly hefty price I suspect you have already paid there is a chunk more to spend yet.

What is the gun for and what scope are you using?

Cheers

I suspect most will come back with the T8. These do a perfectly adequate sound suppressing job but build quality is not that great.

I use the ASE range on centrefires now, they are built like the proverbial "brick sh*t house" but depends which one you get weight can be a bit of a problem! Cost a bit more than the T8

Whatever...if you have a .243 and .308 barrel you are going to need 2 different sizes to do the job properly!

So on top of a fairly hefty price I suspect you have already paid there is a chunk more to spend yet.

Cheers

Deker, I use the .243 most of the time for fox and roe/fallow and some very limited red hind stalking, only bought the 308 because it belonged to a mate who wanted a 30.06 for boar and some african stuff, and thought it would be a good calibre to have if ever i go and shoot boar or get to shoot some big buck/stags.

I have a Swarovski 8-56 which is great.

I have heard very good things about the Ase range which one do you use as i have only been told about the Jet-Z and the S5.

Do you not think you one moderator will do both well enough?

Thanks Jon

Cheers

Deker, I use the .243 most of the time for fox and roe/fallow and some very limited red hind stalking, only bought the 308 because it belonged to a mate who wanted a 30.06 for boar and some african stuff, and thought it would be a good calibre to have if ever i go and shoot boar or get to shoot some big buck/stags.

I have heard very good things about the Ase range which one do you use as i have only been told about the Jet-Z and the S5.

Thanks Jon

Jet-Z and the S5.

They do a rimfire as well but I think most are just variations of those above!

I run the S series which I am pleased with by way of build quality and sound suppression etc, but on the serious down side the balance is now crap. Mine are different sizes as one is on the .223 and one on the .308.

The hole through the middle is a different size. I doubt if you will be able to get 1 mod to do both barrels although your calibres are closer size wise than mine, but my S5 is only for up to .25calibre! Size, weight and pressure all come into it...I suppose its just possible you could fit your .308 to your .243 but I don't know it's a good idea..talk to Jackson Rifles in Scotland, they are the importers.

If I had my time again I may well check out the Jet Z series or check out others that fit over the barrel more!

To be clear, I am happy with everything except the way the balance is screwed up.

Cheers

Deker

Edited by Deker

Cheers

Thanks Jon

Jet-Z and the S5.

They do a rimfire as well but I think most are just variations of those above!

I run the S series which I am pleased with by way of build quality and sound suppression etc, but on the serious down side the balance is now crap. Mine are different sizes as one is on the .223 and one on the .308.

The hole through the middle is a different size. I doubt if you will be able to get 1 mod to do both barrels although your calibres are closer size wise than mine, but my S5 is only for up to .25calibre! Size, weight and pressure all come into it...I suppose its just possible you could fit your .308 to your .243 but I don't know it's a good idea..talk to Jackson Rifles in Scotland, they are the importers.

If I had my time again I may well check out the Jet Z series or check out others that fit over the barrel more!

To be clear, I am happy with everything except the way the balance is screwed up.

Cheers

Deker

Thanks for the help, i think most of them will have a detrimental effect on the balance, i will look into a few of the PES models which fit over the barrel and see what they are like. Thanks again. Jon

He is no longer the UK agent.The man to talk to is James Clark, at jaeger sporting services, on 079680 25033.

I have t4,s t8,s, a pes, and an a-tec, the a tec is the quietest, and lightest, and can be fully stripped.

• 4 weeks later...

If you look at some of the earlier threads, Baldie was good enough to answer my queries regarding using a .308 proofed PES T12 mod on a .243.

Glad to say that his advice was spot on as always and I used my set-up with great success on a trip to the Borders last month.

On the PES, in my limited experience they seem pretty bomb proof, being stainless steel throughout. I did have some problems getting it open to clean it initially (it was 2nd hand) but now that's not a problem and I ensure I keep it off the rifle and the threads lubed.

It's a heavy bit of kit, but does the job nicely, and it definately sounded differently to my mates T8 on his .270, although they both moderate the respective rifles nicely.

I'm sure if you got hold of 2 rear bushes bored out for the different barrels, you could happily use a .308 proofed PES on both with no problem. :thumbs:

Novice