ENGLISH BULL TERRIER

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

13 month old sisters showing a bit of interest around a few holes

will check that out heres my fella, carrying a bit of weight tho around 36kg there

Hello mate dont want to sound rude but the BT in the pic is not of old style (lines) That is a moden day show ring dog. It would probably do well in the show ring but no good out in the field.   T

Posted Images

I used to hunt pigs with bay dogs and bull dogs the typical way it's done here. I choose now to hunt the finder holder type dogs the way the Aussie guys do cause I like the style a lot better personally.

I was around some bull terriers and small catch dog back when I first started. Some folks really like the small lead in catch dog but I do not and the bull terrier helped me to realize this. The bull terrier I was around caught on the snout. This really caused the boars to fight and thrash much more so than when they were caught on the ear. The bull terrier not being very big could not anchor a pig like this and just made it worse for all others and itself. Big mastiff type dogs catching on the snout will not be slung around and will usually do a good job at anchoring a boar eventhough it's caught on snout. I don't like snout dogs at all but using it as an example. I'd much rather have 1 100 pound dog holding a pig than 2 small bull terriers. The terrier I was around was about 35 to 40 pounds. How can you control a pig and anchor it if you don't have you front feet planted firmly on the ground. You basically just holding on through the punishment dished out by the pig in this case.

Also when used as lead ins, the bay dogs have a lot of times allowed the pig to run to briar thickets or water. Big athletic catch dogs such as a dane x pit always got through the brush quicker and more easily than the small cd's and could touch and manuver in deeper water. It isn't good when the pig can touch bottom and your catch dog can't. Pig will out manuver the swimming dog and punish it good or either stay away from it because the pig can run and the short cd can do nothing but swim.

To hunt their own is not really practical because they lack the speed to run a pig down. Great in crosses though. Steve Mack covered them well on the first page when comparing them to a finder holder /finder lugged dog.

good read that :thumbs: , what about apbt there norm more agile and leggy compared to ebt you ever used them in pure form , but the dane x pit sounds spot on for hog work as you say :thumbs:

I used to hunt pigs with bay dogs and bull dogs the typical way it's done here. I choose now to hunt the finder holder type dogs the way the Aussie guys do cause I like the style a lot better personally.

I was around some bull terriers and small catch dog back when I first started. Some folks really like the small lead in catch dog but I do not and the bull terrier helped me to realize this. The bull terrier I was around caught on the snout. This really caused the boars to fight and thrash much more so than when they were caught on the ear. The bull terrier not being very big could not anchor a pig like this and just made it worse for all others and itself. Big mastiff type dogs catching on the snout will not be slung around and will usually do a good job at anchoring a boar eventhough it's caught on snout. I don't like snout dogs at all but using it as an example. I'd much rather have 1 100 pound dog holding a pig than 2 small bull terriers. The terrier I was around was about 35 to 40 pounds. How can you control a pig and anchor it if you don't have you front feet planted firmly on the ground. You basically just holding on through the punishment dished out by the pig in this case.

Also when used as lead ins, the bay dogs have a lot of times allowed the pig to run to briar thickets or water. Big athletic catch dogs such as a dane x pit always got through the brush quicker and more easily than the small cd's and could touch and manuver in deeper water. It isn't good when the pig can touch bottom and your catch dog can't. Pig will out manuver the swimming dog and punish it good or either stay away from it because the pig can run and the short cd can do nothing but swim.

To hunt their own is not really practical because they lack the speed to run a pig down. Great in crosses though. Steve Mack covered them well on the first page when comparing them to a finder holder /finder lugged dog.

good read that :thumbs: , what about apbt there norm more agile and leggy compared to ebt you ever used them in pure form , but the dane x pit sounds spot on for hog work as you say :thumbs:

Yes I've used apbt in there pure form if you can call them that now days cause there is so much breeding bullies to normal pits, some apbt are leggy and some are not so much. Some have good endurance while others suck wind after a few hundred yards.

Apbt make outstanding lead in catch dogs and are pretty much the standard of which all others are judged. They mature quickly, rarely do you not get one that won't hook up on any pig, they fit well in dog boxes that are mounted on little utility off road vehicles, good around the family, and the list goes on. But point blank yes I've used them and liked them very much. When I swapped styles and went to finder holder style dogs and style of pig hunting, I used my pit at the time as a finder holder also. She did very well. Found lot of pigs and normally got hooked up. She did not have the speed in which to run a pig down, if a race developed. This was easily solved MOST OF THE TIME by running a fast dog with her as a pair. If she didn't hook up on her own pig then she would usually go to the other catch and help hold. Now and then she would peruse a pig till it stopped. That was always a nightmare because she couldn't outrun a pig, so the chase was long and when you would get to her finally, she would be gassed and you would need to send a dog to her to help her hold the pig when you neared the catch because if you didn't she would be to gassed to hold the pig when it seen me.

Looking up feral pigs, I consistently see where they claim they run between 20 and 30 mph depending on the individual pig. To stop a runaway pig the dog needs to be faster than 30 mph. Short compact dogs have a hard time reaching this speed much less exceeding it. The longer the race because the slower the dog, the less gas it has left in the tank once it catches. If you hunt the typical American way, you need not be concerned with speed on count of the style of hunting. My pit was around 60 pounds which was quite a bit bigger than the ebt I hunted with also. That was th only ebt I'd ever been around. Fascinating dogs for sure, I just liked bigger dogs for catching and holding pigs. I'd love to have some ebt in my dogs

I use my Bull Terriers as catch dogs on hogs. I keep mine in shape though. No complaints here. Not many folks here in the states use them for hunting.

I applaud you for using them. Wish more people used them cause people like me might not want them in their pure form but like them in crossed up dogs. Without people like you still working these fine dogs, people like me wouldn't be able to use them in an outcross. I'd rather hunt behind a pit but I'd rather have ebt blood to add to my dogs.

35 to 40 pound ebt, is that a standard or a mini?

• Like 1

Some would say mini.....however......my standards weigh between 40-45 pounds and I like them that way. I keep mine lean and in shape, not round and chubby.

Where bouts do you live. I'm from north central Texas area. Kinda due west of Fort Worth by 1.5 hour drive

• 4 months later...

So thought I would put this out another time I found a bull terrier used in the u.s but on the trap line instead of hunting I talked to a guy I met on another forum that was saying the old man that learned him to trap used a dog that was a x between bull terrier did not say if it was English and what he called a German terrier to track game that pulled off the traps and if the animal got to it den or into heavy cover were it could not be seen the dog would go in and pull it out the guy I was talking to said his teachers dog had pulled out fox Badger bobcat and coyote he never saw the dog work but he said he trusted what ever the old man told him and he did see the dog around the old man's house that it sure had the scars of a hard game dog

• Like 1